Cheap grinder has much better taste then Mahlkonig Vario?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kayintveen

#1: Post by kayintveen »

Last week I bought a second grinder just for aeropress, drip and such.
Of course I was going to try to make espresso with it as well. To be clear, I have a mahlkonig vario and bought the cheap encore extra.

First of all the encore choked my rocket Cellini classic. So fine enough. He can grind so fine it just spits out bricks. But with a little adjustment I got a correct espresso grind.

But my conclusion i have a lot of trouble with getting stable good tasting espresso. For example is often very in your face taste. If I balance bitter and sour it's a intense flavor but without getting the clear defined characteristics of the coffee while with the second or third pull on the encore I got amazing clear nutty taste.. The taste seemed a little weaker compared to the vario but it was amazingly pleasant. Drinking 4 espresso in a row was no problem while a espresso from the vario is more than enough for a morning.

Can anybody describe to me if this is normal. If the espresso should have much more defined taste. And if maybe the vario is way to inconsistent and I should invest in something else? Any ideas?

I don't want to use the encore for espresso due to the lack of speed, enormous sound, and I just want to keep it for slow coffees.

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Two things

One, clean out your Vario to ensure there is no old rancid coffee. You can run through some rice or even just some regular beans but on a very coarse setting.

Two, you may be using too much coffee with the Vario. If it is grinding finer and more consistently, then it may be pulling more flavours out of the coffee during a shot. The Encore may simply be channeling a bit. Try reducing the Vario dose in one gram steps.
LMWDP #603

bostonbuzz

#3: Post by bostonbuzz »

You may have just been running the encore shots longer for some reason? I think with new equipment we sort of forget everything and change our technique unconsciously. You should consider trying out the preciso, which has the same sized- but better - burrs and a fine adjustment mechanism. There are some folks around here that prefer small conical grinders to anything with a flat burr.

I'm in the same boat as you, with just purchasing a small conical for drip, but I haven't tested it for espresso because of the lack of adjustability. My kyocera hand grinder (with the same sized burrs but ceramic, and a simple mod to hold the outer burr stationary) produces really lovely shots which are much more mellow than with a super jolly. I do think there is something a bit more to these small burred conicals than they are given credit for. I'd like to see a baratza-sized ~50-60mm conical just to help the speed/noise issues.
LMWDP #353

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

bigger conical burrs are always better
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

kayintveen (original poster)

#5: Post by kayintveen (original poster) »

I think you're in the right direction i guess. I noticed i ground a lot finer, and getting the flow rate the same dosing a let less... Actually always did it by time and never by weight. so i will go on a weigh my shots more. and get the vario the same as how i use the encore with this test and see if there is still a big difference...

Whats a conical burr grinder that comes close to the vario. so something on the more mid-range, high-end home grinder that is conical. or are we directly going to those beasts like the Mazzer Kony and such?