Ceado E37S Misaligned Burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Komponistkalle

#1: Post by Komponistkalle »

Hi coffee lovers!

I'm having trouble with my new Ceado E37S. It seems the burrs are misaligned. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCJ4hlsWbE

Is this really normal? I actually don't have an espresso machine yet (I hope to get a Profitec Pro 700 soon), so I can't really know if the grind quality is consistent or not (I'm not experienced enough to tell by just looking at the ground coffee and touching it). I do get consistently under extracted results through my moka pot though, but it's hart to know if that is the grinder's fault. Coffee does taste better if I buy pre ground coffee of the same bean though...

Best wishes
Kristian

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

Komponistkalle wrote:Hi coffee lovers!

I'm having trouble with my new Ceado E37S. It seems the burrs are misaligned. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY6UdN-WBho

Is this really normal? I actually don't have an espresso machine yet (I hope to get a Profitec Pro 700 soon), so I can't really know if the grind quality is consistent or not (I'm not experienced enough to tell by just looking at the ground coffee and touching it). I do get consistently under extracted results through my moka pot though, but it's hart to know if that is the grinder's fault. Coffee does taste better if I buy pre ground coffee of the same bean though...

Best wishes
Kristian
Most/All grinders are going to do that as you bring the burrs together a few thousands of an inch. There has to be a point at which they touch first and it won't be a complete touch across the entire surface of the burr. If you don't do it with the motor running and use your fingers to turn the burrs, you get a better sense of how parallel they are.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. you can of course remove the burrs, check theres nothing under them and reposition them to see if it gains you any improvement.

Advertisement
OldmatefromOZ

#3: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Agree with Dave.

Where you are adjusting it to so that the burrs touch is a long way from a usable grind for espresso.

Wait until you have put 5 to 10kg through it and pulled some shots before worrying about anything.

SonVolt

#4: Post by SonVolt »

I absolutely love my Ceado e37s. Took a few months and a few pounds through it to break it in.

Komponistkalle (original poster)

#5: Post by Komponistkalle (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:Most/All grinders are going to do that as you bring the burrs together a few thousands of an inch. There has to be a point at which they touch first and it won't be a complete touch across the entire surface of the burr. If you don't do it with the motor running and use your fingers to turn the burrs, you get a better sense of how parallel they are.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. you can of course remove the burrs, check theres nothing under them and reposition them to see if it gains you any improvement.
Oh that sounds wonderful! I do regard you as an authority in the field, so if you think that everything seems OK, then I'm very happy!

The reason why I was getting worried is that it _is_ a quite expensive piece of equipment, and if there indeed was something wrong, I felt that I should bring that up with my vendor as soon as possible.

I have removed the burrs and put them back together. There was nothing under them; everything looked level and clean.

What first caught my attention was a special noise, that I suspected came from the bearings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHp6nvSdcs

After I removed the upper burr assembly and simply remounted it, the sound was gone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JgiTS9BIyk

That seemed I bit strange... And then I felt I wanted to test the zero point.

#6: Post by Komponistkalle (original poster) »

OldmatefromOZ wrote:Agree with Dave.

Where you are adjusting it to so that the burrs touch is a long way from a usable grind for espresso.

Wait until you have put 5 to 10kg through it and pulled some shots before worrying about anything.
Good to hear! :)
I have only ground about 1.5 kg so far (I don't have an espresso machine yet) I've just played around with the grinder a bit.

The upper burr appears to be very worn. The problem is that I of course can't guarantee that it's not caused by the beans I've used. But I don't think so...

#7: Post by Komponistkalle (original poster) »

SonVolt wrote:I absolutely love my Ceado e37s. Took a few months and a few pounds through it to break it in.
Sounds wonderful! :)

Advertisement
DaveC

#8: Post by DaveC »

Those burrs look absolutely fine, not worn at all. The Ceado burrs are good for 600Kg, although for best performance you may want o consider changing them at around 500kg or approximately 10 years of use (based on 1kg per week). if you only drink 0.5kg per week then 20 years.

The grinder sounds fine too, first video some coffee crud was probably floating around, certainly in the second video everything sounded completely normal. Remember, Ceado have a 3 year warranty on those grinders.....so there is no real time limit rushing you along. Wait till you get your machine, then see how she does, I suspect you will be extremely happy with the result. If I could have owned both the Ceado E92 and the E37S I would have done, but at that time I simply didn't want tot afford to have both. I thought seriously about it, but then thought of my 3 dual boiler espresso machines (I used to have 4), 2 roasters and thought...I really shouldn't have 2 grinders. So I plumped for the E92.

They are absolutely fantastic grinders, smallest powered 83 mm grinder (or similar size) you can get (especially if you use a mazzer mini small hopper with it. Powerful and a great single assembly (rubber mounted) for the burrs and motor. It's really easy to get into and clean, plus you never have to disassemble the adjuster and worry about the threads getting problematic. They're also very quiet. I cannot imagine you will not grow to love it. Just remember not to do the top 3 screws up too tight when closing up after cleaning....just nip em up.

#9: Post by Komponistkalle (original poster) replying to DaveC »

:)
The burr does have some significant indentations. Is that normal? A higher resulotion picture (where one can zoom in) is at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135325932 ... ed-public/

DaveC

#10: Post by DaveC »

Your burrs are fine, quite normal to see it on new burrs for any grinder, just remnants of the machining process...after 10 or 20 kg, they soon round off. It has no effect on grind