Ceado E37 owner experience

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
flatsix

#1: Post by flatsix »

There's been a review of the Ceado E7, but there's very little out there on the electronic doserless E37 beyond WLL's promotional material, so I thought I would post some pictures and a few words about how it's working out. I got an E37 in February after my patience ran out with the Mazzer Mini-E. The E37 was only a bit more money, but it was a huge upgrade in terms of ... everything: ease of use, grind quality and consistency, speed, noise level, build quality, and aesthetics (to my eye). Here it is, minus hopper, next to my Brewtus:

It looks small there, but it's pretty stout, and weighs almost 30 lbs. For those not familiar with the Ceado E37, here's the brief rundown. It's a 64mm flat burr grinder. Dosing is controlled electronically, and can be adjusted in 0.1 second increments using the buttons and backlit LCD. There are settings for single and double shots, and you can program how the pushbutton in the front works. The manual says the burrs will need to be replaced after 400kg (880lbs) of coffee. There's a worn burr warning feature, and various shot counters and different menu languages and stuff. Grind adjustment is via the collar you see in the pics below; it's very smooth. WLL says the E37 is a commercial grinder with NSF certification, but oddly they don't sell any Ceado grinders on their commercial site, just the consumer one. Doesn't really matter. It has all the hallmarks of a commercial grinder, including a very nice and very huge 4-lb capacity hopper. The hopper is not in the pictures because my wife refuses to allow it into the kitchen. So for now I single dose, and use that coffee cup to keep the beans in there during grinding. The throat holds probably 30g.

Here is the collar and the rubber thing that the hopper squeezes into. The grooves are for the sliding door in the bottom of the hopper.

The rubber thing peels right off to reveal the the mechanism for centering the adjustment handle. The idea, according to WLL, is that once it's dialed in you center the handle so it's easy to put back in case it gets moved. In practice, the screw holes don't allow you to center it precisely, but you can get it close. It's a nice feature.

To remove the top you have to remove the two big screws you see there, and a third one that is obscured from view. That whole top part, including the upper burr, comes off at once. Note that it doesn't change the grind setting; when you put the top back on, the grind is exactly as it was before. Makes it real easy to get in there and clean or whatever.

Anyway, removing the top part exposes the two screws that hold on the control panel. With the panel removed you can see a little door (with a round disk fused onto it). The door gets pushed open by grinds.

I believe that this door is partly responsible for the clumping that I was getting (and that you can see in the WLL promotional video). If you look at the lower burr carrier you can see three vanes, if that's what they're called, attached to the carrier that sweep the chamber as the burrs spin. The grinds follow the path of least resistance, which is into the chute, where they push up against the door and eventually force it to swing up out of the way. Here you can see one of the vanes, and the chute to the right, packed with coffee.

I figured that by keeping the door open, it would be easier for the grinds to come out of the chute, and that this would lead to less clumping. Here's the door stuck open:

There's no way to remove the door without destroying it, so I pushed out the little white plastic things and crammed a few flat toothpicks in there:

The toothpicks don't get in the way of the control panel cover, and they're easy to remove. Perfect. Now I'm getting dramatically less clumping, although that chute still stays full of old coffee, about this much:

That's just what is in the chute. There's probably a bit more circulating in and around the burrs. But can ~1.3g of stale grinds ruin a 21g shot? I don't know. I only clean the chute in the morning, for my first drink of the day. During the day, when I don't clean out the chute, the shots still taste great to me. If I recall, the grinds above are Counter Culture Rustico, roasted the week before. Interestingly, I hated CCC's Apollo and Rustico with my Mini-E. I went through 5 or 6 bags, and never got anything good. It often smelled like wet dog. Gross, honestly. I haven't revisited Apollo, but I'm loving Rustico now.

My single-dosing routine is as follows: weigh 22g of beans into pf basket (21g VST), pour into throat, put cup back on top, and punch the button with basket, then catch the grinds in the basket. I have the double-shot timer set to 8 seconds, which is at least 2-3 seconds more than needed, but it gets stray bits. Without the weight of beans from above, it just takes longer. I whack the side a couple of times in the final 2-3 seconds. I usually get 21.0-21.5g out, and knock off any extra so I am close to 21. If it's the first shot of the day, and there's nothing old in the chute, I might only get 19.7-20g out. Then I run a 3-second single-shot, and whack it a few more times. That usually gets me to 21. Then I use the WDT with a bamboo skewer, and level with my finger. I hate having to do the WDT with such a nice grinder, but for now it's giving me the best and most consistent naked extractions.

Anyway, I hope someone will find this info useful. I'd be happy to take a short video of grinding and the resulting extraction, if there's any interest. Cheers.

Advertisement
Rondark

#2: Post by Rondark »

I'm considering this grinder so your observations are of great interest.

mindless_fool

#3: Post by mindless_fool »

seems like a great grinder, just so little info online about it. a video would be great

michael1103

#4: Post by michael1103 »

Great photos and info, I am considering purchasing the E37, or the Mazzer mini electronic, any preferences between the two? The ceado runs at 1400 rpms which I think would run cooler than the 1600 rpms on the Mazzer? Also, they both have clumping issues, though the Mazzer has a funnel with a screen inside to help break up the coffee. Not sure if that matters so much, but I want the best flavor extracted from my beans. I also wondered if the coarseness of the grind can be adjusted for drip as well on the Ceado?
Would love to see a video of the Ceado.
Thanks

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

That is a really good looking grinder, and really nice pics, thanks for the detailed shots and write-up! And yes, video please!
LMWDP #371

flatsix (original poster)

#6: Post by flatsix (original poster) »

Hi folks. Every time I make a video, I watch it and decide it's awful and can't post it... :oops:
I'll try again over the weekend.

I've been using the grinder for a couple of months now, and my opinion has evolved somewhat. In short, I like it more.

I stopped single dosing and attached a short Mazzer hopper. By the end of the week, when the hopper's almost empty, the beans are probably stale, but it's still good enough. I find that the grinder is more consistent with a hopper of beans attached, and overall usability is greatly improved. It also looks better.

The clumping that I reported is now gone. After about a month it just went away. Maybe the burrs needed to get coated in oils, maybe other surfaces needed to be dirtied up... I don't know. But the clumping is gone.

So, with the hopper attached, I set it to grind for 4.6-5.0 seconds depending on the bean and desired dose, and I use a 12-inch wood skewer to get the last bit out of the chute. This way I minimize the stale grinds in the next shot. With the chute jammed open, it's very easy to get the stray grinds out. Note that this is quite a bit different than the technique I described in my first post. That technique was pretty stupid, frankly. I didn't stick with it for very long.

Edit: Michael, sorry, I didn't answer your questions... First, I haven't tried a coarse grind for regular coffee. I have an OE Lido that I use for french press. Switching beans and grind settings sounds like a pain to me, as I'm not sure the grinder could be adjusted that much without detaching the lever and moving it over to gain extra room for adjustment. Just get a different grinder for regular coffee.

Second, comparisons with the Mazzer Mini-E. I didn't like my Mini E(s). I had two, because the first one vibrated and rattled like crazy. The replacement was exactly the same, though, and that was when I decided to cough up the extra money for the Ceado (not much, though, because WLL gave me a great deal). The Ceado doesn't vibrate and rattle like the Mazzer. The Ceado is also about 5 times faster. It grinds 21 grams in under 5 seconds. I swear my Mazzer would take 20-25, although I don't think I ever timed it. My Mazzer included a warning that said after 20 seconds of use it needed 30 seconds of rest to cool off before it should be operated again. That always struck me as extremely pathetic. I mean come on. Other comparisons: the adjustment mechanism on the Mazzer was stiff as hell, and very tough to manipulate with precision. It required way too much force. The Ceado's mechanism is super smooth. The Mini has that funnel in front. It clearly serves some purpose, but I could never identify it. The grinds were always clumpy and frequently charged with static. It also required regular cleaning, and it was awkward to clean. You needed a small screwdriver to adjust the duration of the grind, and it's not intuitive: something like one turn for half a gram... I don't recall. But obviously the change in dose will vary as the coarseness of the grind varies, so that guideline is useless. On the Ceado it's a menu selection, and adjustable by 0.1 second. No tools required. The Ceado also has a very useful pulse mode (push single and double buttons at the same time); the pulse mode starts and stops very quickly, so if you only need one extra gram, you can get it. I remember the pulse mode on the Mazzer being useless.

I think what I'm trying to say is that the comparison with the Mazzer is not really appropriate. The only thing the Mazzer Mini-E does better than the Ceado E37 is to hold only 1lb of beans in its hopper instead of 4. But happily that cute hopper fits the Ceado perfectly, so the Mini-E really loses everywhere.

michael1103

#7: Post by michael1103 »

Hi Flatsix,
Thank you for that great evaluation between the Mazzer mini and the Ceado e37. I am trying to carefully plan my next purchase of a grinder in the price range of 1000.00 to 1500.00. I had experience with the Mahlkonig ProM and was hugely disappointed in its performance. I am hoping to find a new grinder that will be easy to maintain and clean without requiring professional service, and will also provide an excellent grind consistency so that I get the crema in the cup that I desire. I am also considering a Mahlkonig k30 but not sure I can justify the extra money. The Ceado e37 seems to be quite a great machine. Looking forward to seeing your grinder in operation!

Advertisement
flatsix (original poster)

#8: Post by flatsix (original poster) »

Here's a video:

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

I am impressed with the grinder and that shot, both look excellent. The Ceado looks very solid, I love the polished trim over the matte body, all in metal.

I wish that my K10 PB did not have the cheesy plastic wraparound piece around the top, and used metal trim bits instead. The small bit of plastic on the body of the K10 does not match up to the rest of the grinders high quality fit and finish.
LMWDP #371

michael1103

#10: Post by michael1103 »

Jeff, Thanks for the video. It looks great and what a beautiful shot! I can only imagine how delicious it was.
Do you roast your beans too? The crema looked so fresh I am curious what kind of beans you use.