Can you adjust a grinder without running if going coarser?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

As the title says - is it safe to adjust a grinder while it's not running as long as you're going in a coarser direction? Not wasting beans is a concern of mine and every little bit counts.

Shife

#2: Post by Shife »

On my Azkoyen and my Bunn, I can adjust coarse or fine without the motor running. On the Breville Smart I can only adjust coarse without the motor running. On the Oracle, I can adjust coarse or fine without running the motor.

No experience with the Forte, but it certainly never hurts to run the grinder when making an adjustment, and you will usually want to pull a couple of shots before evaluating your new setting.

Advertisement
Shife

#3: Post by Shife »

It just occurred to me that Mark Prince was messing about with the Forte the other day and had some comments regarding adjustment issues on his Twitter feed. Might want to check that out.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

See How important is running the grinder while adjusting? for previous discussion.

Briefly, if the adjustment is minor, I don't worry about it. If single dosing and the chamber is empty, it doesn't matter. If I am making a large adjustment finer, then the burrs can bind and overheat the motor. For grinders with plastics involved with the adjustment mechanism (e.g., Baratza), adjusting finer without running the motor is asking for calibration issues.
Dan Kehn

SonVolt (original poster)

#5: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Thanks everyone!