Can a grinder ruin burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mitch236
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mitch236 »

About a year ago, I diagnosed my Robur-E as having defective burrs. I replaced them and the quality has been amazing until about a month ago when like falling off a cliff, I couldn't dial in a shot. I broke out my refractometer and just like a year ago, all of my shots are underextracting again. I happened to have a decent set of burrs (I bought two sets of burrs a year ago) and so I swapped them last night and now the grinder is back! My question is how do I know if the grinder is causing premature wear or if the burrs are the culprit? Has anyone heard of a grinder causing burr wear?

I can attest that the burrs never touched during grinding and I've taken very good care of the grinder.

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

Have you done a visual inspection of the burrs or swapped them back to verify it's the burrs?
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Advertisement
Burner0000

#3: Post by Burner0000 »

Have you inspected the burrs? They may not be leveled if the are flat burrs.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

mitch236 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mitch236 (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote:Have you done a visual inspection of the burrs or swapped them back to verify it's the burrs?
I haven't done that yet but when I removed the older set, the burrs were so dull, I could run my finger across the blades and not get a scratch. I can certainly put the older set back in. The other finding was the older set took almost twice as long to grind 20 Gm as the new set. (Over 6 seconds vs. around 3+ for the new burrs)

allon

#5: Post by allon »

How many rocks did you run through the grinder?
LMWDP #331

mitch236 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mitch236 (original poster) replying to allon »

Lol!! I don't know if that's a joke but none. Up until last week, I was exclusively single dosing which meant weighing every single shot' beans in my OE dosing tray so I would have seen anything that wasn't a bean.

Bluecold

#7: Post by Bluecold »

mitch236 wrote:I haven't done that yet but when I removed the older set, the burrs were so dull, I could run my finger across the blades and not get a scratch. I can certainly put the older set back in. The other finding was the older set took almost twice as long to grind 20 Gm as the new set. (Over 6 seconds vs. around 3+ for the new burrs)
Well that certainly points to the burrs being worn. If the only things that touches the grind surface are coffee beans, this is strange indeed as they are supposed to last hundreds of kilograms. Unless you drink as much coffee in a day as I do in a month.

I'd contact Mazzer for an explanation. Maybe they forgot to harden your burrs for some odd reason.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Advertisement
Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

Burner0000 wrote:Have you inspected the burrs? They may not be leveled if the are flat burrs.
It's a Robur - massive conical grinder.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Mitch - You would do all a big favor if you could take a pic of the old/new burrs in question.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

another_jim
Team HB

#10: Post by another_jim »

Misalignment? I can't think of anything else that could cause this.
Jim Schulman