Buying a used Bunn G1 today, advice?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DejaEntendu

#1: Post by DejaEntendu »

Upgrading from a Baratza Virtuoso. Depending on the state of the Burrs, I'm gonna hold off on the getting the Ditting 804s. I mainly only do pourovers/french presses and brews, and after reading about the Bunnzilla alot I decided to go for it. I'm wondering how the stocc burrs will compare to my Virtuoso until I can put in the Dittings.

Is there anything I should know/look for?

As someone that's not mechanically minded at all, I'm a little nervous about swapping stuff out...

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

The burr swap is a grand total of 6 screws, two for the housing, two for each burr. All very large flathead screws. Could not be easier without being one of those fancy magnetic burr housings. Also very quick and easy to check the burrs while you're buying, if you intend to use it stock for a while.

DejaEntendu (original poster)

#3: Post by DejaEntendu (original poster) »

Oh yeah I'm not too concerned with the burr swap, more so stuff like making it stepless and maybe doing the minibunn at some point.

johnny4lsu

#4: Post by johnny4lsu »

Buy the trifecta plate and new sticker.. Was easy as heck to install and I'm not handy.

CwD

#5: Post by CwD »

Yep, the trifecta plate and sticker are even easier than the burrs. You can also epoxy over the notches if you'd rather, but that is a bit more involved. The only thing I've done that really takes any time or effort is the sanding of the rough exit chute portions.

Also note, if the grinder is newer it may already have the trifecta plate. Not super likely, but check before ordering unless you know it's old.

nickw

#6: Post by nickw »

Are you in Richmond BC, or Richmond Virginia?

Re Bunn G:
They're pretty tough. If it's new(er) theres not much to check. Open it up. Inspect the burrs (should be sharp enough to shave your nail when dragging against). Listen for any strange sounds. Check the burr carrier for excessive play. As well as the bearings. Both should be tight.

I'd say the same for something older. I'd just spend more time checking it over. And I'd be paying more attention to bearing sounds and freeplay.

#7: Post by DejaEntendu (original poster) »

So I got it home and tested it out with my Chemex. It didn't taste much different than my Virtuoso, but I haven't ordered Ditting 804s yet so I'm not sure if the stock Burrs are just that "eh." I'll post pictures tomorrow when I can of grind comparisons/burrs. Also appears to be an older unit - 9 detent selector on the front, little banged up on the sides, but seems to run fine. I can't find out how to find out how old it is for the life of me though.

I messed up though. While taking off the front assembly to look at the burrs again, I forgot to place the cap/burr rotor cup over the shear plate and auger rotor. While running it again, I noticed metal shavings and immediately realized what I did and put deassembled it and placed the cap back on. I ran it again and it seems okay, still some metal shavings but I think they're just leftover from my mishap. I'm not sure if I did a ton of lasting damage though, a bit worried.

#8: Post by DejaEntendu (original poster) »

The little cap I'm holding is what I'd forgot to put on, mentioned it in a previous post.

nickw

#9: Post by nickw »

Awesome.

In terms of taste vs your Virtuoso, those burrs look pretty worn and old.

You'll probably very much appreciate new ones, not to mention machined burrs. When you do get around to upgrading, I think you're going to be impressed :)

New Ditting 1203 Machined Burrs
https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffe ... nes/428927

#10: Post by DejaEntendu (original poster) »

I just called Bunn and the manufacturing date of this G1 was apparently 2009. I thought it'd be alot older since it has the old 9 position detent plate and looks pretty used (the prongs that hold the lid down are a little rusted and loose, the sides of the machine are kinda warped/not completely straight).

Just hope I didn't do any significant damage by accidentally running it without the burr rotor cup in the third to last picture..