Burr change fixes upgraditis... for now.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tcm3

#1: Post by tcm3 »

I bought a used mazzer mini a while back, fully intending to change the burrs...but I didn't. I used it for a couple of years and decided I really wanted a mini-e, but instead converted my doser version into a doserless model (where did those lumps come from). After working out my own WDT method (I use a demitasse spoon handle to mix the grounds as they are delivered from the shoot), I was content for a while, but lately I've been looking for something more. So, I scoured this and the CG site trying to find my next, possibly last grinder (it's going to be a K30) and I remembered the new set of mini burrs I had purchased, tried for a few days, and replaced with the originals that worked so much better. I learned from all my reading that I had never properly broken in my new burrs. So this weekend I bought the 4 lb box of minute rice and after two grinding sessions of 20s on 30s off and about 1/2 lb of beans I've dialed in some of the best shots I've ever produced.

Quite possibly this is due to more attention to detail than in my recent past, but man...this stuff was good. And I did it more than once (you know, like twice)! Anyway, for those who have had issues with new burrs, they really do need to be broken in or "seasoned" properly to work correctly. And I'm guessing that I won't be looking to buy a new grinder for at least a couple of years...I mean months...I mean days.