Breville Smart Grinder display problem

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thCapn

#1: Post by thCapn »

I know a lot of people dislike this grinder and will tell me to pony-up and get a better one. I get it. But, the Breville is in my budget (for now) and it does a reasonably good job. It could be better, but it could also be worse.

I will also state up front that I could not find any related topics in forum searches. Okay, on with the show.

The digital display has started doing something strange: The little pip mark that moves below the grind scale when I turn the grind selector knob has been jumping around erratically. I tried unplugging the machine and letting it rest for a minute to see if it was a computer problem, but no luck.

My guess is there is something (coffee) interfering with a sensor somewhere in there.

I was just wondering if anybody here has come across this problem and knows of a fix before I grab a screwdriver and start disassembling my grinder.

Bossman

#2: Post by Bossman »

If it's still under warranty I would just call Breville and they will likely replace it. They have a lot of issues and are very loose with replacements. I am not sure if there are warranty issues with cracking it open or not.

Advertisement
thCapn (original poster)

#3: Post by thCapn (original poster) »

I have contacted Breville through their web site. It's over a year old though, so I doubt it's covered. And, as with most things, I'd guess that cracking open the cases would void any warranty.