Brand new Mazzer Super Jolly - any must-do mods?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
number9

#1: Post by number9 »

Ok, I have had a "mild" setup for a long time, but by selling and bargaining, I am getting the following, brand new in the box:

Faema Carisma and a Mazzer Super Jolly.

Previously I owned an Expobar Office Lever and a Rocky. So, now that I have hopefully "moved up" in terms of equipment from the Expobar and Rocky, is there something that everyone does to the Mazzer Super Jolly? I am not itching to mod it up, this is more about wanting to know if there is a must have that everyone does right off the bat.

Thanks.

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

If there's a doser, add sweeps and schectermatic. You will most likely find the hopper too large, so you'd want a mini hopper. I find that it catches more beans than Id like though, so you may consider one of the many DIY hoppers.
LMWDP #366

Advertisement
takeshi

#3: Post by takeshi »

number9 wrote:So, now that I have hopefully "moved up" in terms of equipment from the Expobar and Rocky, is there something that everyone does to the Mazzer Super Jolly?
I don't think there's any such thing no matter what the topic (coffee or otherwise). If you know how you intend to use it you'll know if you want something like the Mini hopper or not. Improving the sweeping is a popular mod but I haven't done so on mine. I'd suggest using it and seeing what you find to be deficient (i.e. don't fix it if it ain't broken).

EricBNC

#4: Post by EricBNC replying to takeshi »

+1
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

turtle

#5: Post by turtle »

The Super Jolly bean hopper is a whopper.....

If you plan on fitting it under a cabinet you will need to get the small size mini bean hopper to keep it under 18" in height. NOT the standard 7 1/2" tall mini hopper but the short 6" tall mini hopper

A good counter brush will come in handy. I find the lever doser to be a little messy so cleaning up is an ongoing event.

I purchased a Rattleware grinder tray to put mine on. Makes cleanup a lot easier if everything is caught in the large tray. A 3x5 paper index file file card fits under the edge of the tray and spills can be swept into that then deposited back in the doser keeping things cleaned up easily

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

Here's my article on what I did to my Kony. The article includes links to a couple of other HB threads of modded Mazzers.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

walshman

#7: Post by walshman »

You can get rid of that finger guard inside the doser and that way you will have access to the chute so you can sweep out. Also throw away that cheap and nasty plastic tamper screwed to the side of the doser.

Advertisement
number9 (original poster)

#8: Post by number9 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies... I was not planning on doing anything major. I think the word mod in my
title perhaps threw some to think I wanted to change it greatly right off the bat.

I do like the Schectermatic idea of the paper chute to better control throwing grinds.

And taking off the plastic tamper mounted on the side, that seems like a must-do to me,
as it would never get used. Also, removing the finger guard seems like a reasonable
thing to go for easy cleaning.

So far, I am not set on changing the hopper. I do not have cabinets up top in the kitchen,
so the height does not matter. It should be here next week and I can't wait. I have never
owned anything other than a Rocky and a hand grinder.

pacificmanitou

#9: Post by pacificmanitou »

A few reasons I changed the hopper:

-I never filled it. At most there was a pound in there. It looks weird to have that much empty space all the time.

-Beans have a tendancy to get stuck on the side of the hopper, its a lot easier to reach into the throat and move the stuck beans when the hopper is shorter.
LMWDP #366

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

If you want an extra small (stock-ish) hopper, see Shorter hopper and modifications on Mazzer Jolly:

IIRC, with the top diameter = a doser lid, the final cut height is shorter than the "mini" Mazzer hopper.
Dan Kehn