Brand new Mazzer Robur E - Can't pull shot!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
haroldo_psf

#1: Post by haroldo_psf »

I currently have a brand new Mazzer Robut E (doeserless electronic) at my house, side by side with my Super Jolly (also doserless E). It's brand new from Chris Coffee, but it's not mine. I'm keeping it temporarily for software testing (different story).
Even though I only have it for software development, it would be nice to try shots, as I only have had experience with my flat burr SJ. So here I come with 12 oz of fresh Black Cat Analog. I started the grind on the arrow sticker, and it choked my machine. After several tries, I ended up on the coarsest setting, still choking the machine (18.5g dose). I then ran out of the good coffee before I could get a shot out.
I then ran about 15lbs of cheap beans (medium roast organic from Whole Foods) during software development.
Then I decided to give it another try, and bought a pound of Blue Bottle Hayes Valley, the bean I use the most at home with my Super Jolly. I dialed the shot last night in preparation for our coffee time this morning, and was able to pull a proper shot after only 3 or 4 tries! I though "Great!", maybe the burrs were not seasoned or something.
I come in this morning to pull the shots (didn't touch the settings), and it choked the machine again! I then went through the same vicious cycle, ended up at the coarser setting after many shots, still choking the machine, and ended up going through 1 lb of expensive Blue Bottle without pulling a shot!
What am I missing? I've never experienced anything like this on my Super jolly.

my machine is not the problem...I can go back to the Super jolly any time and it works like it always did. It's a La Spaziale Dream, rotary pump, always rock solid at 9 bar, doesn't miss a beat.

Advertisement
Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

There is no "coarsest" setting is there? I mean, you can continue to adjust more coarse until the top burr carrier comes off and whole beans are dispensed. Worst case- can't you remove the locking screw and turn it further, or remove the hopper to get it to go further...?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

haroldo_psf (original poster)

#3: Post by haroldo_psf (original poster) »

I guess I was hitting the hopper than with the adjustment collar. It was way past the arrow in the coarse direction.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Sounds like you have it figured out, but for next time, see Fine tuning grinder setting with minimum waste and the "feel" method demonstrated in Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders.

Specifically to the Robur E, be aware that it retains a lot of coffee in the chute, so you won't see the effects of a grind setting change until you purge ~20 grams of coffee. Since you already have a Super Jolly nicely dialed in, here's an easy cheat: Grind a little coffee with your Super Jolly. Grind a little coffee with the Robur. Compare how the grind feels. It should feel a bit gritty. Once they feel pretty much the same, you're in the ballpark. When you make adjustments to the Robur, don't be afraid to move the dial 3-4 notches if it really feels off. A common mistake is moving too little; save the sub-notch moves until you're actually pulling shots.

BTW, for this side-by-side comparison for feel, you can use any coffee. Stale or fresh, it doesn't matter much.
Dan Kehn