Blind Shaker: First Impressions of Blends vs. Single Origins

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
csepulv

#1: Post by csepulv »

(Edit -- accidentally hit Submit instead of Preview)

I recently bought a Lyn Weber Blind Shaker and wanted to share some early impressions and observations. Hopefully, some others can comment on their experiences as well.

In a week of usage, I've made espressos from blends (Linea, Verve) and some single origins. I've seen a few trends so far, in my limited "sample set".
  • very little difference in pours for blends, comparing grind straight to portafilter vs Blind Shaker
  • for blends, little taste difference
  • for single origins, Blind Shaker pours rarely spritz and blond later, vs grinding into portafilter
  • for single origins, Blind Shaker shots were better balanced
  • Blind Shaker creates a lot more clumping (images below)
A few pictures.

Note clinging grounds on rim. This happens consistently, for me. I've found I need a good few hard taps down to shake them loose.

I consistently get clumping after using the Blind Shaker.

Grinding straight into the portafilter.

Generally, using the Blind Shaker is a bit of a pain, at least for me. I usually just grind into my portafilter and give it a few taps. This works well for blends. With my Vario, single origins are more of a challenge and the Blind Shaker has helped there. However, I think using a paper cup would be easier and help just as much.
Chris

SAB

#2: Post by SAB »

Thanks for the notes, Chris.

With my Vario, I never use the portafilter rest. I grind (single dose) into the grounds bin, give it a good shake, and pour it into the portafilter. I actually like the corners of the bin to be able to direct the grounds flow. Then level, tamp, and go. No problem with SO beans. The large size of the bin means I can shake vigorously to dissipate a bit of static, and have very little clumping.

I've got a blind shaker coming when my eg-1 ships, so I'll be curious to see how the workflow goes there.

doublehelix

#3: Post by doublehelix »

Just started using my blind shaker...have the blind tumbler, as well....

Chris- do you normally do WDT? I've tried the blind shaker 5 times and have been comparing my extractions to those done with WDT, since this is what I normally do. Too early to say much at this point, but I don't do WDT when using the blind shaker....

csepulv (original poster)

#4: Post by csepulv (original poster) »

@doublehelix, I don't normally do WDT with blends. A few tap of the portafilter to level the grounds generally has been all I needed. For single origins though, I sometimes use WDT (depends on the beans).

So far, I find the pours/taste are better with the Blind Shaker vs.WDT (or direct into portafilter), but that's based on a week of shots and only two different SO's. (I've been alternating/mixing shots with/without the Blind Shaker and looking for taste differences.)

This is mostly personal preference, but I am finding the Blind Shaker to be a bit cumbersome; I am going to dig out the bin that came with the Vario and also try a paper cup to compare.
Chris

doublehelix

#5: Post by doublehelix replying to csepulv »

Thanks for commenting!
I do like using the blind shaker, but cannot notice any real difference compared to my usual WDT routine. At least, not yet. I also have the blind tumbler and like the heft and the really smooth finish on that product much more than what the blind shaker sports. In my hands I get some adhesion of the grounds, but the tumbler shows little retention.

I've accommodated by puck prepping routine by trying to not press the "Sorry-game-piece-like-aluminum-insert" onto the grounds when filling the PF basket. This avoids clumping.....

grog

#6: Post by grog »

I hadn't thought about blends vs single origins but now that I consider it, this has been my experience too. I get a lot of clumping with the blind shaker (static issues, I suspect) with blends and have MUCH better results with SOs and the blind shaker. With SOs I get much better pours than without the blind shaker. With blends, I don't see much difference in pours and actually it makes the distribution worse due to the clumping.
LMWDP #514

grog

#7: Post by grog »

I've been pulling a Burundi natural from Dogwood. Hardly an espresso friendly bean and it is challenging to dial in shots. But I've been getting very good pours on the Cremina, using the LWW blind shaker and no WDT. I do use RDT before grinding in my Mahlgut. The coffee is delicious BTW.
LMWDP #514

doublehelix

#8: Post by doublehelix »

Been using the blind shaker quite a bit. I've found that dark, oily roasts, in my hands, need WDT treatment to get nice extractions, judged using a naked PF. Dark Sumatra roasts (Collective) can be especially problematic.

My other new toy--the Lunar scale--is being used to evaluate the consistency of flow during an extraction. This has been fun. I use the Acaia ap to evaluate variations in flow as a "quantitative" measure of how uniformly packed my pucks are. Multiple espresso geysers that emerge and disappear, show up as measurable variations in flow rate.

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 »

For over 2 weeks now I've been grinding in the Lido ABS plastic jar and putting the conetop on for shaking. Then transferring the grounds over to the 49mm filter basket with the Ipanema funnel on it. This was my test before spending 100 dollars to see how it works. I almost exclusively drink SO's and my extractions have been great so I just ordered a blind shaker. Shaking did also give me some more clumps but they didn't affect the pours in any way.

csepulv (original poster)

#10: Post by csepulv (original poster) »

Based on SAB's (Steve's) comment, I've been using the Vario bin for the last 10 days or so. I prefer it to the Blind Shaker. It is deep enough the I can shake/toss the grinds easily and it is a far easier workflow without any mess (the Blind Shaker can get messy). (I also use an OE funnel to pour grinds into the portafilter.)

For SO's, the pours are prettier and taste seems better (sour peaks are lessened, brighter/fruitier instead). The pours are sometimes prettier on a blend, but I don't notice any taste difference.
Chris