Baratza Virtuoso Preciso jams with lighter roasts

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bosaurum

#1: Post by bosaurum »

I have been using Baratza Virtuoso Preciso for the past 18 months. It works fine with medium and darker roasts, but any roast lighter then medium causes it to jam. I have to hand feed coffee beans so it would not jam as often and still I am forced to take it apart 2-3 times every time I grind coffee. Should I replace the burr and burr holder or should I be looking for another grinder altogether?

IMAWriter

#2: Post by IMAWriter »

Question...when you adjust the Preciso FINER(applies to all grinders), are you running the motor then beans are present inn the hopper?
This is a MUST, to you can jam beans between the burrs, and do serious damage.
I actually run it even when the hopper APPEARS empty. There can still be remnants.

I'd advise you remove the hopper, and do a complete cleaning, if you already haven't in a while.
I think a vacuum does a better job than compressed air.
Let us know if that helps!

bosaurum (original poster)

#3: Post by bosaurum (original poster) »

Ever since I have adjusted the finer (with the motor running) for the first time it has remained in place. I have to remove the hopper to take off the seal and ring burr holder and clean them every time it jams, so that part of the grinder is very clean. Whenever the grinder jams, I empty the hopper, twist and remove it, take the rubber seal off, dump whatever beans are left in the grinder, remove the burr holder and shake off any coffee particles left on it, turn the grinder upside down to dump the half-ground beans. Then I put it back together so there are no beans in the grinder when I adjust the hopper.

PacMan

#4: Post by PacMan »

I have a Preciso too but haven't experienced this issue. Are you having this issue grinding for espresso or drip or something in between? Also keep in mind that when you put everything back together, the upper burr carrier goes back in one specific direction, indicated by the red mark on the carrier. Have you check the Baratza documentation to make sure you're putting everything back the right way?

If all else fails, just email Baratza. They have solid support and will usually get back to you quickly.

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

I would email Baratza and they will ask you questions to clarify your problem.

I am assuming that your grinder starts then it slows to a stop when grinding? Your motor is probably burnt out imho.