Baratza Vario with Forte Portaholder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
stefano65
Sponsor

#21: Post by stefano65 »

I have some retrofit kit in stock for couple of weeks now
and I was planning on converting one just to see how easy it will be, (based on the video from them looks simple,)
however I got swamped with repairs and didn't got around doing it yet
once I will if there is any annotation worth making in addition to the video I will
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

brianl

#22: Post by brianl »

I did the swap and it's really easy. I've also opened her up a few times for other reasons so I'm not new to the process

gopherblue

#23: Post by gopherblue »

I received my brand new 886 Vario with the new metal portafilter holder yesterday. It is my first Vario, and a definite upgrade from my Rocky. I can't compare the metal portafilter holder to the older plastic one, but I really am pleased with the metal version. My only complaint is that the Vario is packed in such a way that the electric plug scratched up the metal portafilter holder in transit, and the scratches look unsightly.

ash4889

#24: Post by ash4889 »

gopherblue wrote: My only complaint is that the Vario is packed in such a way that the electric plug scratched up the metal portafilter holder in transit, and the scratches look unsightly.
one thing I found out about Baratza, they really have some of the best customer service I've ever seen. make sure all you have to do is contact them and they will take care of every problem.

gopherblue

#25: Post by gopherblue »

Thanks!

gopherblue

#26: Post by gopherblue »

One additional, slightly offtopic, question: how loud should the Vario be when grinding? Mine is MUCH louder than my Rocky. Is this normal? I had read in many reviews that it was very quiet.

brianl

#27: Post by brianl »

Is it really quiet when running? Does the machine vibrate a lot when grinding?

I have found that it's mostly your perception of the noise. AKA the dB level could be lower but if it's a higher pitch, it will bother you more. I believe SCG did a test with the VARIO and Rocky to determine noise.

wrz0170

#28: Post by wrz0170 »

Received my retro kit a few days ago. Took about a week to get in. At first glance, the holder is very solid. I included a few pics of the old portaholder and the new. With the naked PF in, it drooped a little bit. However with the new, it's not loose and I don't have to hold it level.

A few nitpicks. There were no installation instructions. So it was a bit of a guessing game of looking at the new parts to figure out how the old comes out. Remove rubber feet, remove 4 screws. Remove metal foot, remove plastic back. Then replaced.

Other few nitpicks. With the old, I had my OE funnel and ZERO mess. Not a single ground. With the new, when you remove the PF, the top side lips catch a bit of the grind. Also when you remove the PF, the entire portaholder assembly sometimes comes with it. So you have to hold it in place, then remove PF.

Overall, pretty happy. Adds a nice clean look to the Vario. Solid. Holds the PF right in place.

ash4889

#29: Post by ash4889 »

I had one and I sold it was just too messy bought a aluminum OE funnel, and now everything is perfect..................no more mess

EngineerEli

#30: Post by EngineerEli »

After a lot of back and forth with Amazon, I just got my 886 Tuesday. The grind seems to be very good coming from it! The ground beans are SO MUCH fluffier now though, that if I use the portafilter holder, I am unable to fit the 18g dose into my portafilter. (I do single dose) I have had to revert to my previous technique of grinding into a container, and using a yogurt container with the portafilter. Filling it up and taping it down on the counter a few times before removing the yogurt container then tamping and brewing. It works fine but basically renders my new portafilter holder that I went through a lot of trouble to get, effectively useless. Anyone have any suggestions. Maybe set one preset on the grinder to do the first 3/4 of the dose, then level and tap the portafilter, then dose the rest, re-level and tamp? Seems like an awful lot more work than my old method...Do I just need to lower the portafilter tongs way down and keep using the yogurt container?

Thanks, Eli