Baratza Vario with Forte Portaholder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ufergus (original poster)

#11: Post by ufergus (original poster) »

Mine fits pretty tight and takes a bit of patience to wiggle it back and forth to get it to come out.
rich

danmc

#12: Post by danmc »

mart wrote:Another me too. After an adjustment, the portafilter with the OE funnel fits perfectly for hands free, no mess grinding. Much better than the stock Vario portaholder. Its not hard to remove, you just have to use a fingernail on each side near the base and urge it forward evenly, not a problem.
Which OE funnel are you using?

ash4889

#13: Post by ash4889 »

Hi
I also have the Baratza Vario Grinder, when I use the included portaholder it a complete mess on my countertop. Emailed Baratza and they said I should remove the primary calibration grommet for it to fit. Is it possible for you to include detailed pictures of your install?
Thanks Again

ash4889

#14: Post by ash4889 »

ash4889 wrote:Hi
I also have the Baratza Vario Grinder, when I use the included portaholder it a complete mess on my countertop. n
I ordered one from Seattle Coffee Gear and it came today, install was a snap only thing I had to do was remove the grommet from the rectangular hole. It now works perfectly no overspray plus it looks way more expensive and sturdier without paying $900 for it. BTW if you remove the Grommet it makes it very easy to install.
I included a few pictures, let me know what you think

damonbowe

#15: Post by damonbowe »

I just want to say that having a nice portafilter holder is an underrated factor in grinder usability. It's not necessary, but when you have a nice one, it is really great!!! Love these photos, guys!!!

IMAWriter

#16: Post by IMAWriter »

+1. Fits tightly in my Forte as well, but not so tight I can't easily remove it.
The Strega PF design present a bit of a challenge, but it's workable.
That holder does weigh a ton! Inspires confidence.

mart

#17: Post by mart »

It's OE aluminum dosing funnel for 18.50 I use 49mm for the Cremina. Sorry it took so long to reply

gopherblue

#18: Post by gopherblue »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just thought I'd revive this thread to note that as of last week, Baratza is shipping the Vario with the upgraded metal portafilter holder from the Forte line. The model number has changed from 885 to 886.

http://www.baratza.com/news/vario-now-s ... rtaholder/

EngineerEli

#19: Post by EngineerEli »

I have ordered one of the 886 Varios with the metal porafilter holder, should be delivered Friday! I'll update here if I notice anything noteworthy. I believe I read the one that comes from Baratza with the Vario is slightly redesigned to fit 'better'. They now offer a kit with the new holder specifically for the Vario, but it also includes a new metal base and new back plastic shell to help with the fitment. ($55 from Baratza)

wrz0170

#20: Post by wrz0170 replying to EngineerEli »

I actually purchased the retro fit kit on Friday (08/29) Should be here 09/07 or so. I will also update on the install, etc..