Baratza Vario-W belt cam loose!? Set screw missing?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by JavaMD »

My Baratza Vario-W started making "slipping noises" and didn't grind.
Took the back off the unit and found what looks like a "set screw" hole in the cam that is attached to the motor.
The cam turns the belt.
I went to Home Depot and found a 4mm set screw ... but want to make sure that this is what I should do ... Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Can send it back to Baratza but if it is just a set screw missing ... could save myself $90 repair fee. Weird thing is ... I can't find a loose set screw in the grinder.

Picture of the "set screw" hole and cam below ...

WSH

#2: Post by WSH »

The very same thing happened to me. The set screw is probably still in there somewhere, hiding. I eventually found mine after replacing it :D

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate doing what you've suggested.

JavaMD (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JavaMD (original poster) »

Thanks Much! just got to head back to the hardware store and get one shorter than 8 mm in length to be a bit more balanced. won't stick out so far. Looked deeper than it was.

Steve

JavaMD (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JavaMD (original poster) »

Works great ... just want to mention that the set screw that fit was a 4mm screw with 5 mm length that took a 2 mm hex wrench to turn it.

MountRoyal

#5: Post by MountRoyal »

This happened to me too but my screw didn't fall out, just had to re-tighten it. The guys at Baratza said it should have been "Loc-tited" in there but this one was missed.
Check if the missing screw isn't stuck magnetically to the motor, that's happened to me too.

JavaMD (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JavaMD (original poster) »

Thanks ... good Idea to put the loc-tite on it ... will look again for the screw ... would hate to have it end us somewhere it shouldn't

steve