Baratza Vario randomly shutting off?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
brisbane87

#1: Post by brisbane87 »

Has this ever happened to anyone? It keeps randomly shutting off. Nothing it wrong with the outlet so it appears to be the machine.

GaryM

#2: Post by GaryM »

We need more information.
Will it restart immediately? Or do you have to wait a period of time? Possible thermo overload.
Are you grinding for time? Or grinding manual when it happens? Possible timer circuit board issue.
Does it sound overloaded or strained when it shuts off? Possible grind calibration issue.

brisbane87 (original poster)

#3: Post by brisbane87 (original poster) replying to GaryM »

Restarts fine if I just unplug and plug back in. Hasn't actually shut off yet while grinding -- just when sitting there.

mariobarba

#4: Post by mariobarba »

So when it turns off, pressing any button doesn't turn it back on? The LCD screen goes off after a minute or two of the grinder being idle. Pressing any button should turn it back on. A second press wil start it grinding.

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

Varios do turn themselves off automatically when idle. You can turn that feature off, but I forget how. Consult your manual. If that's not it I would contact Baratza
LMWDP #366

IMAWriter

#6: Post by IMAWriter »

Read the manual. Highly recommended.
Pay special attention to the fact that WITH BEANS IN THE HOPPER, you NEVER want to adjust the grind finer without running the grinder. (motor on)
This rule applies to all grinders.

GaryM

#7: Post by GaryM »

I think your Vario is going into "Sleep Mode". This from page 7 of the manual:
"This is a programmable feature to allow the lights and display to turn off after a pre selected amount of time elapses since last grinding. Also there is the ability to "force" it to sleep mode by pressing and holding the START button for 3 seconds. As soon as the lights turn off you can release the button. Touching any button will "wake it up" (but will not perform the func- tion of the button pressed). To se- lect sleep mode delay, press and hold the MANUAL button for 3 sec- onds until the display shows "S00". "S 00" means Sleep mode never happens. The up or down arrow al- lows selection for 3 minute delay (S03), 5 minute (S05), 10 minutes (S10), 20 minutes (S20), 30 min- utes (S30) or infinity (S00) . Press the MANUAL button to store the value you desire."