Baratza Vario - questions about initial grind setting, calibration

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
wrz0170

#1: Post by wrz0170 »

This week I should have my new Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 and pretty excited about it. I also have some fresh beans coming.

What would be the recommended setting to start off at? Putting the macro at 1 and the micro at A doesn't seem quite right?

Secondly, what does the calibration do for the grinder and should I do it before grinding my beans?

Thanks!

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

I used a Vario for a year, and never needed to calibrate it at all. I used it for La Pavoni espresso and a semi-automatic espresso machine.

Since there is no zero point on these grinders any reference that someone gives you is relative to their grinder, and will likely not mean much on your grinder. That being said I was grinding my semi-automatic espresso in the 2-G range and La Pavoni espresso in the 3-M or even 4 range.

I'd start with a shot in the mid 2 range and see how that is for time and volume on a shot. Then adjust up and down depending on what you need.
LMWDP #445

wrz0170 (original poster)

#3: Post by wrz0170 (original poster) replying to DanoM »

Thank you. I know settings are subjective because everyone is different but it's good to have a good starting point to work from.

wsfarrell

#4: Post by wsfarrell »

If you're nervous about tinkering, you could probably leave the calibration as is and, as Dan said, start out in the mid-2 range.

If you like to tinker, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5XJi347kM4 from Baratza shows the latest (March 2014) recommended setting, where the burrs just start to touch around 2Q. I re-did mine that way, and I'm getting great espresso in the mid-3 range.