Baratza Vario not grinding - found set screw

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kboom1

#1: Post by kboom1 »

this morning my vario started to make a metal on metal grinding noise so I stopped it quick.when I picked it up I could hear a rattling noise, thinking it might have something to do with the gear and the belt I took the case off and found a set screw laying under my motor. not sure where the set screw came from,it kind of looks like the grind ajustment set screw but that screw is there. As I am regretting giving my old grinders away now I'm stuck with no other choise but to figure out where it came from and fix it. Being the weekend and no one is available at Baratza for help anyone have any Ideas where this set screw might have came from?

kboom1 (original poster)

#2: Post by kboom1 (original poster) »

I found where the set screw came from.the pulley above the shaft has a hole for the set screw but I see alot of metal shavings. I removed the motor and the shaft is pretty chewed up.

kboom1 (original poster)

#3: Post by kboom1 (original poster) »

Just to report back,doing a search on several forums it seems this problem is quite common for the Baratza grinders, sucks if you dont catch it early enough looks like a whole motor replacement to take care of it with spines on shaft so torn up.

MountRoyal

#4: Post by MountRoyal »

That's a drag, happened to me too but the screw was just loose and didn't come right out. I looked up their support instructions on their website and found instructions on reinstalling that screw. I seem to remember its important to line it up in the groove of the motor shaft, I hope you still have enough metal there to keep the screw in place. If it were me I'd ask them to send a new motor for free (assuming its actually useless).