Baratza Vario Multitasking

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ecuew

#1: Post by ecuew »

Hello,

I'd like to know how many people here use the same Vario for different brews ; espresso to drip/French press/moka pot, etc.

How has the grinder held up? Do the espresso settings 'slip' when you swing back from a coarser grind?

Or do most people own two (or more) grinders?

The reason I ask is that I've recently purchased a Vario-W for use (mainly) with my Silvia. So far, I've been giddy at the results in the cup.

I have however had to return the first Vario I got as it was defective right out of the box. I have also noticed a high proportion of posts from Baratza owners having problems with their grinders.

I guess you could say "once bitten, twice shy". I just want my little Vario to succeed!!!

jasonmolinari

#2: Post by jasonmolinari »

a lot of discussion this already..but many people do seem to use the vario for multipurpose...but many (myself included) find that returning to the same settings after moving them from espresso to drip, doesn't produce the results it did prior to moving them. I had to grind 5-10g of coffee after returning to espresso setting for it to make good grinds.

I, for one, was very disappointed in that, given that i bought the vario with that type of use in mind.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I think that part of the issue is that the Baratza grinders are popular and may have a larger install base and that you'll hear from more people about any issues that they have rather than reports of non-events or good performance.

I think that from the posts I've seen the experience has been mixed, but I switch back and forth between a pour-over and drip grind to an espresso grind almost daily and have been using my Baratza Vario for almost three years so I'm pretty happy with it. It may also be that since I use small levers that I'm less critical about my espresso grind setting, adjusting for the grind with the pull.

Here's a link to a post where I talk a bit about how I adjust the grind.

How do you guys single dose a Baratza Vario - Tips and Techniques • Home-Barista.com
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jedovaty

#4: Post by jedovaty »

I had done it for over a year. You just have to make sure you are grinding beans when changing the settings, and allow for a 5-20g excess if going from coarser to finer (will take a little testing to determine how much). Just pay attention to the sound and speed, and after a while, you'll be able to tell when the burrs "reach the actual setting".

My vario-w only goes to about a coarse drip grind; you can still make frech press this way, just adjust your brew time.

XCman

#5: Post by XCman »

I've had mine for a little over two years and other then having to put the shims in both levers I haven't had any problems. I would recommend single dosing if switching brew methods. Mine always goes back to the same settings and the only wasted beans are the few I put threw when switching from espresso to
pourover/FP to clear out fines in the discharge chute.

ecuew (original poster)

#6: Post by ecuew (original poster) »

Good tips, thanks for the replies.
I suppose there could be duds in every production run. I shouldn't baby this grinder just because the other one was defective.