www.orphanespresso.com: lever espresso machine parts, manual grinders

Baratza Vario Messy Dosing

Postby century on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Hey Guys,

I have had my Vario for almost a year now....and I love it.
A couple tweaks here and there and it grinds amazingly.

The only thing that drives me nuts is the messiness.
I tried the yogurt cup method, which was great when I had a smaller portafilter on my Silvia but since upgrading to a Rocket, the portafilter is bigger (taller) and the yogurt cup just aint cutting it anymore.

Any suggestion on what I can mod or use, so I can get a less messy, even doing into my portafilter?
I can dose into the OEM bin but I prefer not too.

Thanks

Emil
century

Quotable Quote
"I'm convinced that small changes in dose have just as profound an effect on the pour as small changes in temperature and pressure. Those who lust after 0.1F PID'd boilers and Slayer-style pressure profiling might first reconsider the humble digital scale." --John Weiss, Dose and tamp without leveling

Postby Jeff on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:41 am

You might want to check out OE's snap-on funnels: http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Espres...c_324.html

I've got to say that, especially after years of Mazzer dosers, my Vario seems incredibly neat and tidy.
Jeff

Postby RAS on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:08 am

Yup, I can vouch for the OE funnel + Vario. Depending on them humidity you're dealing with, and the coffee you're grinding, you may still get some coffee with a mind of its own, but for me, it has been far tidier. I now own three different size funnels for my various machines, and they all work great with the Vario.
Bob
RAS

Postby century on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 am

This is EXACTLY what Im looking for. Thanks Guys ! :D
century