Baratza Vario macro grind setting not working correctly

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jkruer01

#1: Post by jkruer01 »

I have had my Baratza Vario for a little over a year. Normally I only use it for Espresso. Because of this, I almost always do adjustments using the micro adjuster on the left of the machine and I hardly ever use the macro adjuster on the right of the machine.

However, yesterday I tried to do a grind for a french press. I set the grind to as coarse as it would go, but visually looking at the coffee grinds they were not much larger than my espresso grind. They did not look as large as sea salt does for example. The french press coffee was pretty bad.

I adjusted the grind back to my normal espresso setting and now my espresso is filling a 3oz shot glass in about 15 seconds (way too coarse) but it is at the same setting I have been using for a long time.

It feels like to me that the Macro grind adjuster is not working correctly. Could someone please help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks!
Jeremy

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

that's why people don't recommend the Vario if you're going to change the grind that drastically. Each time you change the setting you need to grind some beans to throw away to settle the burrs. Also, I don't think the Vario with the ceramic burrs is really suited for French press.

Advertisement
jkruer01 (original poster)

#3: Post by jkruer01 (original poster) »

I did grind beans through it both times after the adjustment finished. Still didn't make much difference.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

I'm talking like 25grams worth. But you'll never get back to the exact spot after you leave it. I'm not going to comment on the French press aspect as the Vario with ceramic burrs isn't suited for that.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#5: Post by EspressoForge »

When adjusting back to espresso was the grinder running? If not maybe coffee compacted onto the burrs. You may have to clean them out and re-zero the grinder.

neutro

#6: Post by neutro »

I'm using the Vario since last December and I must say going from finer to coarser is an exercise in frustration for me.

I was going to post in my own thread after my morning experience but this thread is right on the same topic.

The point about the burrs having to settle seems to be right on but I have now idea how it works out internally or why so much coffee has to be wasted when going coarser; and 25g is nowhere near what I experienced. It was at least 200g if not more this morning.

So I just changed beans -- going with fresher beans, you typically have to go coarser right? Still, you never know so I began with the same setting as I was currently using, 2-J. I kept the dose fixed (16g). I began by running the grinder empty just to purge it, and shook it a bit to dislodge any leftovers. I'm pretty sure the Vario was totally empty beginning the process.

First try at 2-J choked the machine (nothing got out after 15+ sec).
Then at 2-M, choked the machine.
Then at 2-R, choked the machine.
Then at 2-W, choked the machine. Visually the grinds were not different than at 2-J.
Then at 3-A, choked the machine.
Then at 3-J, choked the machine but got a few drops. Visually, still no difference.
Then at 3-W, choked the machine.
Then at 4-A, choked the machine.
Then at 4-M, choked the machine, still no difference visually in the grinds produced.

At this point, I knew this was not normal -- I never grind in coarse-3 for espresso. I ran the grinder and slid the levers all the way to the coarser setting, then reduced to test calibration -- motor began to strain at about 1-J so I think it's well calibrated. I reverted to 2-R, still choked the machine.

Got to 2-W, and now I could see the grinds were visually much coarser than before. Pulled a shot in ~10 sec.
Reduced to 2-R, still too coarse.
Reduced to 2-M, still too coarse.

Can you guess the final setting? 2-J.

So I spent half an hour, spent 14x16 = 224g of coffee and ended up at the initial setting...

In retrospect it seems I should have left the setting just a bit coarser and use up 2-3 shots to let the burrs adjust. Still, I can't understand how the burrs would need to grind 40g of coffee to "settle" to a coarser grind. Is this the same on other grinders? E.g. if I ditched the Vario for, say, an equivalent-grind-quality grinder such as a Quamar M80E, would I have to fiddle as much with the grind setting each time I change grind settings?

brianl

#7: Post by brianl »

I don't know any other grinders that go from espresso to French press that would be comparable except for the forte, which I have never used.

changes in espresso settings just require a smaller 10g purge on most machines.

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#8: Post by boar_d_laze »

neutro wrote:If I ditched the Vario for, say, an equivalent-grind-quality grinder such as a Quamar M80E, would I have to fiddle as much with the grind setting each time I change grind settings?
The Vario has some issues with calibration and consistency because of its flexible, plastic, inner works.

It's a better brew grinder with the optional metal burrs than with the ceramic burrs -- but even with the ceramic burrs it's still good. Even though the ceramic burrs are nominally the "all purpose" choice, there's some question about which burrs are really better for all purpose use. The Baratza folks say they prefer the metal burrs for SO espresso as well as brew; but the ceramic burrs for espresso blend. Why there should be a distinction escapes me, but I don't know the grinders well enough.

Why you had problems grinding for FP, I don't know.

The Quamar doesn't have any reputation as a brew grinder that I know of. You might try calling 1st Line or WLL.

The Forte is very similar to the Vario, just much stronger. The Vario perfected, you might say. Same burr choices, but without the calibration and consistency issues. The Forte is probably the best choice for those who choose to use one grinder for both espresso and brew.

However, while the Vario and Forte are excellent brew grinders. They're merely good/very good espresso grinders. There are much better.

Many of us choose to use two grinders, one for each purpose. A two grinder setup absorbs a lot of space and money, but this is HB.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

IMAWriter

#9: Post by IMAWriter »

boar_d_laze wrote: [snipped]
A two grinder setup absorbs a lot of space and money, but this is HB.

Rich
:lol:
Damn STRAIGHT!!!

cmin

#10: Post by cmin »

We say it time and time again, the Baratza Preciso and Vario are best left to one use and thats it, technically they can do the full gamut, but not recommended to do so. Use for only espresso or brew, and if brew the steel burr set for the Vario works quite better than the ceramic thats geared towards espresso grinding. The Forte is about the only "affordable" grinder that can do from espresso to press no problem. Even if your only doing coarse once in a blue moon, get a separate grinder even hand grinder. The more commercial espresso grinders don't have burr sets that work well for coarse and adjusting and going back to settings would be frustrating depending on mechanism, most can't even go to press needs regardless even when adjusting way back as their all made with espresso in mind. Only ones that I know of that work good on both ends, Baratza Forte, HG-One, and EK-43, maybe a few others I don't know of (think some used the Versalab as a brew/press grinder), I guess you could throw the Lido 2 in as its great on the coarse end and still capable of espresso.

OP, I would check your calibration, something may be out of wack from switching or could have been a slight jam from a bean or left over grinds when switching, the Preciso/Vario have fail safes in case of a jam so something may be broke but that's to protect more important/expensive parts, I would open it up and clean it out. Pretty easy to check though if you recalibrate, instructions and videos are on their site.