Baratza Vario Grinder - First Look - Page 15

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
greatphotos

#141: Post by greatphotos »

My unit won't arrive until Wednesday but another user on CG forum received theirs and briefly compares two Varios.
houdina wrote:It has no problem chocking my GS3, I had to back it off three coarse setting to get it in range. When I was grinding too fine there was some static popping particals out to the pf, but at the correct setting there was no problem. Compared to my Mahlkönig K30 Vario it was much slower but with less clumping(the downside of the Mahlkönig). I think the resulting espresso is better as well but I will take more time to decide. One thing the Baratza is easier to dose well with(less clumping)

HB
Admin

#142: Post by HB »

For those who wish to follow the discussion, see The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread on Coffeegeek. As an aside, I am baffled why choking an espresso machine with finely ground coffee is viewed as some measure of success. It doesn't surprise me to read that observation in newbie threads, but someone who owns a La Marzocco GS/3? Weird.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
zin1953

#143: Post by zin1953 »

HB wrote:As an aside, I am baffled why choking an espresso machine with finely ground coffee is viewed as some measure of success.
You and me both!
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

another_jim
Team HB

#144: Post by another_jim »

If you buy a cheap grinder, it's ability to choke an espresso machine is the first test. You can't rate a grinder for espresso if it doesn't work. It's also a test when one switches burrs -- presumably one hasn't put them in right if they screech and the espresso still gushes.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#145: Post by HB »

Thanks Jim, I understood the underlying reason behind the comment, but given the context, it still left me scratching my head. Sort of like me buying a quality car and reporting "I turned the key and the engine started." :?
Dan Kehn

woodchuck

#146: Post by woodchuck »

Sorry for jumping in late - having too much fun tuning up the Brewtus. My thoughts on the Vario from the quick look I had yesterday:

1) Small and compact. Maybe a nice second grinder for decaf espresso and press pot.
2) Easy grind adjustment - which doesn't translate into easy dialing in.
3) Fine/fluffy uni-dimensional grind. Seemed finer, less dense and more uniform than the Robur grind.
4) Clean - no fuss no mess. Does a great job of dosing without spill over.
5) Way too busy on the front panel - reminds me of all the dials and push buttons cheap stereo vendors put on the front of their systems to make them look more appealing to the Target crowd.
6) Dialing in was a little more difficult than the Robur or my Macap. Seemed the window for a good pour or a runaway was narrower - a little less forgiving on the grind.
7) Flat. There was a definite difference in body and taste between the Robur and the Vario. The Vario body was noticeably lighter and the taste not nearly as intense for the same 25 second ~ 1.5 oz pour. I think you have to pull these shots a little tighter and with more coffee to get the body but you give up some of the more subtle flavors when you do this.

Cheers

Ian

shadowfax (original poster)

#147: Post by shadowfax (original poster) »

HB wrote:Thanks Jim, I understood the underlying reason behind the comment, but given the context, it still left me scratching my head. Sort of like me buying a quality car and reporting "I turned the key and the engine started." :?
To be fair, it's more like he bought a car that had a lot of hype behind it and a lot of questions about its quality. Mark Prince's "car" wouldn't "turn on" when he first got it, right? And, more points to the man, he said he liked it better than his K30. It's not cupping notes, but it is the beginning of taste evaluation. I am really interested in finding out what he thinks of the flavor from each grinder. I have some experience with the K30, and with shots pulled by a professional on a LM and K30. It's most certainly a titan grinder in more than just its hulking size... Anyway, I asked my questions of the guy.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Advertisement
tribe3

#148: Post by tribe3 »

The thing is that many people don't think the Vario is a "quality car"... It looks just too much alike its 3 poor brothers; it's plastic... I believe the Vario is very promising but it will have to prove it. (Just my unauthorized opinion)

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#149: Post by mivanitsky »

Has anyone tried it yet as a French press or cupping grinder yet?

I might buy one to use for this purpose, if it is suitable. That it can do espresso at least competently, will get it a place on the counter as a cheap second bean/decaf grinder, if it will also function for my non-espresso needs.

IMAWriter

#150: Post by IMAWriter replying to mivanitsky »

You must be doing real well if $400+ is cheap! :lol: