Baratza Vario grind setting changed after cleaning - normal?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jasonburk

#1: Post by jasonburk »

I decided to dust off the burrs in my month+ old Vario the other day. I had the macro/micro set to about 2/H respectively beforehand, but found that I needed to take the micro down a few notches finer to 2/D after the cleaning to regain the proper grind I had been using.

Did I do something wrong when re-assembling the grinder, or is this normal after removing one of the burrs for cleaning?

Thanks

P.S. One thing I should mention is that when I initially placed the top burr back in, after cleaning, I failed to re-insert it all the way and that resulted in a super coarse grind upon first run. Would this have anything to do with it? The machine works fine right now, but did I damage it do you think?

D'Laine

#2: Post by D'Laine »

Don't believe you damaged the grinder. I have the Vario W and clean it every week or so.
Getting the top burr in and out is difficult, it's a very tight fit.
After reassembly, I find the settings are out and need to adjust the levers every time.

It seems that the levers pushed up will tighten the grind, but when dropped down all the way, all that opens the grind is gravity and the force of the beans between the burrs.

Once set, it works ok.

D.

jaybar

#3: Post by jaybar »

Have you considered Full Circle? I believe Baratza now includes a packet with the grinder. This avoids burr removal.

Jay

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

Anytime you remove burrs from any grinder you will need to re-adjust when you put it back together.

This is just normal and happens to everyone.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

jasonburk (original poster)

#5: Post by jasonburk (original poster) »

Thanks guys. Just making sure.

I do run 40-60g of Grindz through it weekly. I'll limit how frequently I remove the burrs for manual cleaning.

jaybar

#6: Post by jaybar »

Jason

Why weekly Grindz? I use my Vario 2-3 times a day and
Baratza suggested every few months.

How frequently do you use the grinder ?

Jay

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by uscfroadie »

jasonburk wrote:I do run 40-60g of Grindz through it weekly.
Wow, Grindz loves you! Seriously though, that is an insane amount in home use. I go through on average 100 grams of coffee a day and use about 10 grams of Grindz every two months. Burrs are super easy to remove on my Forte, and I look at them after cleaning. Even at my usage my routine may be overkill.
Merle

jaybar

#8: Post by jaybar »

IIRC my Vario manual suggests 35 grams of Grindz. The individual packets are about 33 grams.

Jay

XCman

#9: Post by XCman »

I've never quit understood peoples obsession with cleaning grinders every week. I started out cleaning my Vario every couple of months and never found any sort of build up on the burrs even after doing a couple of pounds of oil oozing dark roast. That being said I do think there are benefits to running a gram or two of beans thru at a course setting every once in awhile to blow the old fines out of the chute. And yes,I have to recalibrate after removing the top burr also.

dergitarrist

#10: Post by dergitarrist »

It really depends on the bean... Someone brought me some dark oily espresso recently and it being a present I had to give it a go. It was disgusting and I tasted it in every subsequent cup for days, so I took the grinder apart and cleaned everything with a toothbrush.

Usually, I'll take my Vario apart 1-2x a year to do this... never saw the need for Grindz.
LMWDP #324