Baratza Vario Gone Haywire

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SpromoSapiens

#1: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Out of nowhere this afternoon, my beloved Vario went haywire. I wasn't sure if there was a pebble or something, but I doubt it, as it's great coffee from a reputable roaster that posts frequently here. I always single-dose, and so I turned the machine upside down and dumped as much as I could, and could find no pebble or evidence of one so far. I have not completely dissembled the grinder yet, nor have I ever, as I don't have the Baratza burr-removal tool. I have limited experience with the inner workings of grinders anyway, so I would just be poking blindly for anything apparently amiss.

I had just loaded 17.5g and was about half through grinding it when all of a sudden there was a clatter sound as if the burrs had fallen out of alignment, or something was loose and rattling, I don't know. I immediately stopped the grind, then started it again, and it whirred loudly and high-pitched like an angry drill. During a few minutes of incredulous inspection, I stopped and started it again a few times, always with varying tones of angry fast-spinning drill sound. At one point this tone started to descend. If allowed to spin for more than about 10 seconds or so, smoke starts creeping out from somewhere.

I'll call Baratza tomorrow. But does anyone here have any thoughts on what might be happening? This is my only electric grinder, I'm lost without it. I have my travel kit (a sozen and aeropress), but I also have a toddler, and hand-grinding while trying to get ready for preschool is just uh... sub-optimal.

Anyway, any random speculation as to the problem and its fixability is welcome and appreciated. Thanks. :(

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

Sounds like the belt is slipping and/or broken. Here's a detailed set of instructions on how to replace it.

http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Belt1.pdf

SpromoSapiens (original poster)

#3: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

Well i'll be danged. My woes are described almost identically within the troubleshooting list on the baratza site. :oops: Spose I could've looked before I posted, but I was distressed! Thanks for the tip, it looks cheaply & easily fixable.

#4: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

I don't believe it! There was in fact a pebble in here. I am completely shocked. Does this definitely mean the burrs are damaged? I know they are inexpensive, and were probably due for replacement after 5 years anyway, but is there a chance a pebble would not damage ceramic burrs? Having just rinsed the upper burr, I don't see any damage, but when it comes to microns, I would not trust my naked eye.

also, as a habitual single doser, is there any chance that the pebble could have somehow been lingering for a while and only fell into the burrs by chance now, or was that pebble without a doubt scooped up in my last dose before the jam?

wsfarrell

#5: Post by wsfarrell »

Seems likely to me the pebble was in the last dose.

If you can't see damage to the burrs, they're probably okay. Micron-level chips shouldn't have much of an effect on grinding. Still wouldn't hurt to change them, if they're in fact 5 years old.

D'Laine

#6: Post by D'Laine »

It sounds like the machine broke the drive belt. The motor will run loud and hard at that point.
Take it apart, order the belt. Replace it.
Could be a shear pin if they use such a thing too. Call Baratza to ask.
Burrs can be inspected by eye.
Very strong fingers can take the top burr off without the tool. Note, it's a left hand thread.
Good luck.

D.

Eastsideloco

#7: Post by Eastsideloco »

Coincidentally, I've been emailing Baratza about a noise that may be related to a belt with a missing tooth or similar. Here are some videos that may be helpful if you open your unit up.

Case removal video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEKzzrZu98

Video version of gear and belt guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhoMt84jxXs

FWIW: their tech support is very responsive and competent, as mentioned elsewhere on the forums.

Eastsideloco

#8: Post by Eastsideloco »

D'Laine wrote:It sounds like the machine broke the drive belt. The motor will run loud and hard at that point.
Take it apart, order the belt. Replace it.
The stress caused by the pebble could also have stripped the teeth off the belt, which would have the same effect. If your grinder is 5 years old, you'll probably want to get the upgraded to the steel motor pulley-assuming yours is plastic-and install that along with the belt. It's a super easy change out, provided you have the right bits for your driver.

I opened my grinder up last night and was able to fix the weird noise it was making without any new parts. If I had let the problem go, I'd be replacing parts. So I'm glad I opened up before any damage occurred.

#9: Post by SpromoSapiens (original poster) »

There is no doubt that it was the pebble that caused the commotion. And yet (as you may or may not be able to discern in the phone pic below) the burrs look pretty much fine. I ordered a new belt and pulley set, as well as new burrs, just for the sake of showing this old beast some love. I didn't know there was a metal pulley available, I guess I will think of that next time.

IMAWriter

#10: Post by IMAWriter »

SpromoSapiens wrote:There is no doubt that it was the pebble that caused the commotion. And yet (as you may or may not be able to discern in the phone pic below) the burrs look pretty much fine. I ordered a new belt and pulley set, as well as new burrs, just for the sake of showing this old beast some love. I didn't know there was a metal pulley available, I guess I will think of that next time.

<image>
Ethiopian coffee, no doubt. FWIW, In physically sift through the green before roasting, and after, when it's been dump in my colander.
Nice photo, BTW! :lol: