Baratza Vario coarse to fine

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
brianl

#1: Post by brianl »

I just had a weird thing with my Vario. I was grinding at a relatively coarse espresso (2Pish). I knocked the sides/back of the grinder when it was empty and running to clear any retention and a huge amount of coffee came out (several grams). Now I need to grind much quite a bit finer (2F) and the shots taste watery (but the grinds are also more fluffy; I only had this happen the last few tries so the watery part could be mano). Any idea what's going on? I assume I must have knocked something loose. I should mention that there hasn't been a change in weather. This is sad because I made some Hologram yesterday at 3 days post roast and it was phenomenal. I already miss it, ha. I hold both sliders when I grind into the bin so it's not slippage. Ill try to recalibrate and tighten screws after work.

How many people have messed with the chute flap in the Vario? I'd love to stop tapping the grinder to clear out grounds.

Also, does anyone else notice that when pulling back to back shots, even just two, the grounds heat up? How could this affect the grind setting.

Finally, does anyone else have their 'calibration' slip every so often?

lawn_wrangler

#2: Post by lawn_wrangler »

brianl wrote:I just had a weird thing with my Vario. I was grinding at a relatively coarse espresso (2Pish). I knocked the sides/back of the grinder when it was empty and running to clear any retention and a huge amount of coffee came out (several grams). Now I need to grind much quite a bit finer (2F) and the shots taste watery (but the grinds are also more fluffy; I only had this happen the last few tries so the watery part could be mano). Any idea what's going on? I assume I must have knocked something loose.
I've always had problems returning to fine settings from coarse settings on my Vario (esp. when adjusting the macro lever) and will often have to dump 2 or 3 shots before dialing back in. I became so frustrated that I recalibrated a couple months ago and have left in the espresso range (2 macro) ever since...meaning no pour overs, until I get a grinder for that purpose.

That said, I think knocking the grinder may have had something to do with it. I remember Baratza talking me through some issues and they told me I couldn't tip the grinder upside down (e.g. to empty the machine of one roast and change it out to another) because something (I apologize, but I can't remember what) would become dislodged and I'd lose my setting. SO, ever since then I have single dosed to avoid wasting beans.
brianl wrote:How many people have messed with the chute flap in the Vario? I'd love to stop tapping the grinder to clear out grounds.
I've never had several grams of beans retained and never (felt I) needed to do more than run it a few seconds to clear out grounds.
brianl wrote:Finally, does anyone else have their 'calibration' slip every so often?
My Vario has been very finicky, so I think my answer to that question is YES. This morning I inadvertently knocked the macro lever from 2 to 4 and had to dump 3 shots to get it dialed in again (ultimately at a different setting than I had just left, minutes before.

However, that may depend on what, exactly, you mean by calibration...

Advertisement
davebm

#3: Post by davebm »

I've given up on my Vario for this reason exactly - If I clean the grinder or change the settings it takes me forever to dial in a new shot.

I am now looking at getting a K30 as I'm tired with this grinder and its annoying calibration issues. Sometimes I get the most wonderful grind and then the next day I get a shocking one. I try to be consistent as possible, but this grinder is just not playing nice anymore :(

brianl (original poster)

#4: Post by brianl (original poster) replying to davebm »

Haha, I feel you. My best shots were on this Vario (I used to own an HG One). However, my worst shots are also from the Vario. :evil:

I changed the setting and just ran a bunch of old beans through. we'll see how the dialing in holds.

Sadly, Im not sure the K30 would be any different when changing the grind?

jfrescki

#5: Post by jfrescki »

I used to knock mine to dislodge grounds until one day I knocked loose a soldered connection on the control board. :oops: Granted, I was really annoyed with the grinder that day for wandering grind settings and sinked shots, so it was more than a gentle knock!

So I had to send it back to Baratza for fixing/upgrading, and I bought a SJ in the meantime. Now I've got an extra expensive Vario (repair, shipping & steel burrs) on drip duty for the last two years and I barely make anything but espresso.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

davebm

#6: Post by davebm »

brianl wrote:Haha, I feel you. My best shots were on this Vario (I used to own an HG One). However, my worst shots are also from the Vario. :evil:

I changed the setting and just ran a bunch of old beans through. we'll see how the dialing in holds.

Sadly, Im not sure the K30 would be any different when changing the grind?
The K30 is stepless - you wouldn't really run into this problem. You select your grind fineness and then lock it in by twisting the knob. The grind itself should never change.

The problem with the vario is it was stepped and mine seems to jump out of its settings when it gets to the finer grinds, there is nothing really to lock it in except by holding the slider with your finger and thats also not a guaranteed method :/

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

brianl wrote:Sadly, Im not sure the K30 would be any different when changing the grind?
The K30 burr carrier adjustment is totally different. The lower burr is fixed and the upper burr rides in a precise finely threaded (1 mm pitch) adjustment ring. Very simple and dependable. On the Baratza Vario the lower burr rests on a mechanism that includes the calibration plane and both lever cams, with the cams held in position by plastic levers. There is nothing but gravity and the force of beans between the burrs to force the lower burr down tight against the cam mechanism, and in theory the cam position relative to the lever position might vary a bit due to flex in the plastic lever. So with the K30 you have a very precise correlation between the actual burr gap and the grind setting, but with the B. Vario, not so much.

One thing to be aware of is that the K30 range of adjustment is much more limited than the B. Vario on the coarse side. Is intended as an espresso only grinder.

P.S.
The K30 with the stepless adjustment is called the "K30 Vario." There is one (K30 ES) that is identical, but has a 21 step adjuster and no locking screw. You don't see that one much.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h