Baratza Vario coarse adjustment changes while grinding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
natew

#1: Post by natew »

I noticed this morning that the coarse adjustment lever on my Vario was walking while I grinding some espresso.

Has anyone seen this before? It went from 1 all the way to two. I got a video of it, but it only shows it going from 1 to 1.5:
If I cannot depend upon it staying put, I have no way of knowing if it is really a 1 or a 2. Maybe I should have gone with the SJ... :(

Nate

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Contact Baratza. They should be able to help, as they have excellent customer service.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
natew (original poster)

#3: Post by natew (original poster) »

Sent them a support email. I'll post back what they suggest in case someone else runs into this.

ajf

#4: Post by ajf »

I used to have that problem, and I sent them an email.
They sent me some shims to install, and that completely fixed the problem.
While waiting a few days for the shims to arrive, I just held the slider in position while grinding.

Alan

Martin

#5: Post by Martin »

Most likely Baratza will recommend that you add some shims which they will send to you along with very clear instructions. It's a common-enough problem so that they have a whole support protocol at the ready. Any other problems with the grinder?

Here's the bad and good news. I've had a bunch of problems with mine. Finally sent the grinder (several yrs old at that point) for their factory refurb----about $80(?) Came back like new---- with parts replaced and upgraded parts. After a year, more problems. Serious problems. Sent it back and they re-refurbed it (no charge) replacing more failed parts.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

natew (original poster)

#6: Post by natew (original poster) »

I ended up returning the Vario and bagged a used Mazzer Super Jolly from a Cafe for the same price. The Mazzer was in great shape and is rock solid.