Baratza Vario steel burrs - endurance

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Pingel

#1: Post by Pingel »

Hi

I was just wondering, how many pounds can I expect the steel burrs from Baratza to grind before I have to buy new ones? The ones I have are just about through 150 pounds and still going strong...

Cant seem to find an answer out there, so for future reference...

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

500 - 1000 lbs per baratza: Life Expectancy of Burrs

Pingel (original poster)

#3: Post by Pingel (original poster) »

There it is... Thanks :!:

subq

#4: Post by subq »

I've had 3 motors burn out on my vario but never had to replace the burrs... of course, only go through about 3lbs a week.

Actually, the motors themselves didn't burn out, something strips in there and the motor no longer turns the burrs.
LMWDP #357

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

The set screw that attaches the motor pulley to the drive axel is most likely what stripped. The small motor pulley drives a larger burr pulley via belt. If you can identify the "chatter" associated with a loose set screw before the screw strips, you can simply reset the set screw or replace the small pulley rather than the motor. These are cheap fixes compared to buying a new motor. (To avoid this problem, use Loctite on the set screw.)

Some info on the inner workings of the grinder here:

https://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uplo ... -Belt1.pdf

It's a pretty easy grinder to work on.

subq

#6: Post by subq »

thx for the link, I may have to take a look at that...I actually ordered an HG One this time around because I was getting tired of the hassle but if the fix is simple I will definitely fix the vario
LMWDP #357

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Peppersass »

Eastsideloco wrote:The set screw that attaches the motor pulley to the drive axel is most likely what stripped. The small motor pulley drives a larger burr pulley via belt. If you can identify the "chatter" associated with a loose set screw before the screw strips, you can simply reset the set screw or replace the small pulley rather than the motor. These are cheap fixes compared to buying a new motor. (To avoid this problem, use Loctite on the set screw.)

Some info on the inner workings of the grinder here:

https://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uplo ... -Belt1.pdf

It's a pretty easy grinder to work on.
I am so glad you posted this. I did some service on my Vario-W last week and noticed a distinct chatter I'd not heard before (I rarely use the grinder, but my wife uses it daily for drip.) I opened the machine but couldn't find anything that would seem to cause the chatter. After reading your post I checked the small pulley set screw, and sure enough it was ever-so-slightly loose. I tightened it up and the chatter is gone. Thanks!

Eastsideloco

#8: Post by Eastsideloco »

Glad I could help. It's one of those things that's probably easy to miss because it happens gradually over time. In my case, I had a feeling that something wasn't right. The grinder worked fine, but seemed to be making a new noise. It turned out to be the set screw.