Baratza Settes that die early?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Apr 07, 2017, 4:45 pm

I'm making a new thread here because when I try to post in the "End Users" thread, that note in red appears about how it's too big and to consider starting a new thread, so here goes:

A big string of recent posts over in the "Sette End Users" thread is folks talking about the their Settes that stop running after anywhere from a week to a month, and how this and that (removing and replacing the the burr, or using Blu Tack on the feet), helps a little and then it dies again and they call Baratza to get a replacement sent out.

Well... Some of comments posted got me to wondering if most or all of those Settes that mysteriously stop running are the -W version? Has anyone with the regular, non-weighing Sette also had the problem where it just stops working, even though the display still powers up?

I ask because mysterious, early death bothers me, even though I have categorical trust in Baratza (my early Vario from 2009 has been 100% reliable and excellent). AND, because I have ZERO interest in the -W version, I am hopeful that the regular version I am interested in is free from the "early death syndrome" that seems to be afflicting primarily the -W version.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

coffee & espresso equipment and accessories
Sponsored by Prima Coffee - coffee & espresso equipment and accessories
marlodmb

Postby marlodmb » Apr 07, 2017, 5:36 pm

My non -W version hasn't have that problem

rhtrevino

Postby rhtrevino » Apr 07, 2017, 6:05 pm

FWIW, I've had my 270W for a couple of months with no problems.

marista

Postby marista » Apr 07, 2017, 10:56 pm

270 non-W owner here, received grinder in January and no issues so far (:

drummy

Postby drummy » Apr 09, 2017, 7:50 am

My 270w died at about 3 months

Calendar

Postby Calendar » Apr 09, 2017, 8:03 pm

My 1st 270W died at about 3 months.

# 2 died sooner, but a different problem. Panel doesn't even light up.

#3 arrives tomw.

Chu

Postby Chu » Apr 10, 2017, 2:37 am

i would also look at asking whether you run the Euro 230v or USA 150v models. For instance ive got a 230v and so far its running great right out of the box

espresso cups and barista gear, showroom in Santa Cruz
Sponsored by Great Infusions - espresso cups and barista gear, showroom in Santa Cruz
djdigy

Postby djdigy » Apr 10, 2017, 3:56 am

I'm in Turkey. My sette 270 died after 5 weeks of use just after an oily bean grind. Lights up, timer counts down but no grind. I sent it to the supplier and they've changed the motor. Everything is fine again. But i was using 2 shims now i use 1 shim; i wonder if the burrs are attached to the motor so they are also subject to change when the motor is replaced?

collinsad

Postby collinsad » Apr 10, 2017, 11:14 am

djdigy wrote: i wonder if the burrs are attached to the motor so they are also subject to change when the motor is replaced?

Yes, they are. The dc motor, gearbox, and ring burr are replaced as a single unit. You now have a new ring burr and your original cone burr which in part explains the change in grind shim and setting.

My 270W motor was replaced by Baratza due to a broken commutator at about 5 or so months. As I live in Seattle I just drove the grinder over to the Baratza office and they fixed it on the spot as I watched. They mentioned there was a manufacturing flaw with the dc motor commutator/armature windings region which can cause dead spots in the motor. If the motor stops rotating at a dead spot, it will not grind. If you turn the ring burr a little out of the 'dead zone' you can make the motor work again... until you stop on the dead spot again. Think of it like Russian roulette. I believe this is what others have found, which can be confusing to diagnose: One day grinder counts down/lights up but the motor doesn't turn; user tries various troubleshooting including removing the lower burr, thereby rotating the motor out of the dead spot; grinder works again until it stops in a dead zone.

collinsad

Postby collinsad » Apr 10, 2017, 11:17 am

To followup to my post, you can see the parts diagram of the Sette 270 here:
http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploa ... 2-2017.pdf

They replace part SA3 as a single unit.