Baratza Settes that die early?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
uilleann

#1: Post by uilleann »

I have had this grinder since November. It did jam and stop running a few times in the beginning when we were running lots of beans through it to season the grinder. but only when we had so many beans it would run 20+ seconds. Once seasoned we do about 20g at a time and it has been working really great.

Until today... it will not grind. Lights are on. Timer counts down. No grind.

I took out the grinder and cleaned everything. Still no go.

I have left a message and email with Baratza on this. But was wondering if anyone else had this problem

...merged "Baratza Sette 270 stopped grinding??" with thread on same subject by moderator...

awer25

#2: Post by awer25 »

Same issue here. I only use it a few times a day (maybe 5?) and it's been working fine since I got it in early November. I'm about to contact Baratza but did a search first and came across your post.

uilleann (original poster)

#3: Post by uilleann (original poster) »

They were pretty good about it. They suggested a few things. That did not work so they said they would send a replacement. Got it 3 bus. days later. Note that I did not know how long it would take so I found one locally. I was trying to season the burr so I was running 2lbs of coffee through it. At first I was doing 20g of beans then 40. It seemed to be handling it so I jumped to 80 grams at a time. I could hear the grinder labor and then pop.... the grind section popped out. The coffee was cheap dark roasted greasy beans. Upon opening it I found that 80% of the exit holes were packed tight with grounds. I was able to give that one back to the local store.

What I have learned is that you have to season the burr. If you dont the same setting will get you coarser grinds. But when seasoned it is very repeatible. After communication with Baratza support, they suggest, at espresso grinds, you limit the grinding to 20g and less than 10 sec, then wait 90 seconds before use.

As long as the current grinder does not crap out I will continue to like this grinder. But if it does stop it will be time to move on

ash4889

#4: Post by ash4889 »

I am so very happy that I never bought this POS, could not be swayed with the sales pitch. For all who love them good luck to you, will just continue on with my Compak.
PS: Just my personal opinion please don't be offended

amagad

#5: Post by amagad »

the concept is great, they should have made it more durable with more metal components, if it drove up the cost, so be it it would have been worth it, but at the price point they are vs the problems, its not worth it at all.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira replying to amagad »

Assuming it's something to do with plastic parts. I've seen a almost fully disassembled Sette and I can't imagine there will be any long term problems with the grinding mechanism. it's also hard to imagine that "Stopped grinding" without the comment, "the motor still runs but the burrs on't turn," is a problem with the grinding mechanism. Seems more likely to be electronics or the motor which metal parts would likely not fix. I would own a Sette except for the noise which I decided I was not willing to put up with. I'm ever so much happier with the near silence of my Monolith, but if not for the noise, I probably would have a Sette and $1800 or so. The number of issues has been small and Baratza has always stepped up and done the right thing. And like in all things internet, you almost never hear from the folks with ones that just work.

If I ship something that doesn't work, I hear from about 100% of the customers, if I ship something that does work, I hear from about .01% of the customers and that might be a really high estimate.

Ira

pcrussell50

#7: Post by pcrussell50 »

I'm making a new thread here because when I try to post in the "End Users" thread, that note in red appears about how it's too big and to consider starting a new thread, so here goes:

A big string of recent posts over in the "Sette End Users" thread is folks talking about the their Settes that stop running after anywhere from a week to a month, and how this and that (removing and replacing the the burr, or using Blu Tack on the feet), helps a little and then it dies again and they call Baratza to get a replacement sent out.

Well... Some of comments posted got me to wondering if most or all of those Settes that mysteriously stop running are the -W version? Has anyone with the regular, non-weighing Sette also had the problem where it just stops working, even though the display still powers up?

I ask because mysterious, early death bothers me, even though I have categorical trust in Baratza (my early Vario from 2009 has been 100% reliable and excellent). AND, because I have ZERO interest in the -W version, I am hopeful that the regular version I am interested in is free from the "early death syndrome" that seems to be afflicting primarily the -W version.

-Peter

...merged "Baratza Sette 270 stopped grinding??" and "Baratza Settes that die early?" into a single thread by moderator...
LMWDP #553

marlodmb

#8: Post by marlodmb »

My non -W version hasn't have that problem

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by rhtrevino »

FWIW, I've had my 270W for a couple of months with no problems.

marista

#10: Post by marista »

270 non-W owner here, received grinder in January and no issues so far (: