Baratza Sette - End User Reports - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jja619

#31: Post by jja619 »

day wrote:Yea, this was confusing to me. Who was expecting the Lido3 to outperform and r U saying it is?
At the drip setting, probably a lot of people. If you read any early reviews, a lot of them say similar things about the Sette's inconsistent grind.

Baratza has even acknowledged this and has stated that they're playing around with different burr geometries that might be more optimal at the coarser settings.

day

#32: Post by day replying to jja619 »

I see, I skimmed through this thread apparently, and had assumed we were focused on espresso givnen the previous information as you point out here.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Advertisement
rockethead26

#33: Post by rockethead26 »

Headala wrote:My Sette W arrived to my house in Florida an hour ago...says my wife. I'm in O'Hare, about to board a flight for 9 days in China. :x
I'll take China over the Sette anytime! :D

Spitz.me

#34: Post by Spitz.me »

Early feedback report.

First impressions of seeing and interacting with the grinder:

- After dialling in and pulling several shots I can say that the grinder feels like a cheap, short life, throwaway appliance. If you thought the Vario felt that way then imagine that the Sette feels even cheaper. Well, it is!
- The control panel buttons feel cheap and flimsy. The control panel feels like it's just a matter of time before you replace it. Again, the Vario just feels like it has a little more finesse when you interact with it.
- The grind adjustment mechanism is fantastic and a welcome change to the Vario and even the K10 system. It sure is like a combination of the two grind adjustment mechanisms. The slick mechanism is a welcome change to the lame plastic and finicky sliders on the Vario.
- I hate that the Sette retains 0.5g.
- I love that the Sette doesn't need to be bumped and brushed.
- I love that I can throw away the damned brushes I have for the K10!
- The portafilter holder works, but not well enough for me to feel confident that I won't lose some of my coffee from spillage.
- Holding and shifting the portafilter for the 5 seconds of grinding is better than letting the grinder dose itself into the portafilter.
- The Sette is really loud and "screechy" compared to both the K10 and the Vario.

First impressions of espresso from the Sette:

- I can more easily pull a better shot of the coffees I have on hand with the Sette compared to the K10. I have a very vivid recollection of how the coffees tasted on the K10 and my feedback is that it was easy to get "more" flavour with the Sette. The grinder isn't finicky. I dialled in flow speed and the shots were tasty. Unlike the K30 that I had which needed to be finessed into a delicious espresso.
- The finer adjustment mechanism can manipulate the grind enough to go from a choker to perfect pour.

I need to spend more time with the grinder before I make a final decision. Having said that, my early taste impressions coupled with the marked improvement in workflow will make it hard for me to give back regardless of the grinder's cheap esthetic and feel.

I wrote this up on my phone so I apologise in advance for any awkwardness or autocorrect fails.
LMWDP #670

F1

#35: Post by F1 »

Spitz.me wrote:Early feedback report.

- After dialling in and pulling several shots I can say that the grinder feels like a cheap, short life, throwaway appliance. If you thought the Vario felt that way then imagine that the Sette feels even cheaper. Well, it is!
- The control panel buttons feel cheap and flimsy. Again, this control section feels like it's just a matter of time before you replace it. Again, the Vario just feels like it has a little more finesse when you interact with it.
- The grind adjustment mechanism is fantastic and a welcome change to the Vario and even the K10 system. It sure is like a combination of the two grind adjustment mechanisms. The slick mechanism is a welcome change to the lame plastic and finicky sliders on the Vario.
- The portafilter holder works, but not well enough for me to feel confident that I won't lose some of my coffee from spillage.
- Holding and shifting the portafilter for the 5 seconds of grinding is better than letting the grinder dose itself into the portafilter.
- The Sette is really loud and "screechy" compared to both the K10 and the Vario.

- I can more easily pull a better shot of the coffees I have on hand with the Sette compared to the K10. I have a very vivid recollection of how the coffees tasted on the K10 and my feedback is that it was easy to get "more" flavour with the Sette. The grinder isn't finicky. I dialled in flow speed and the shots were tasty. Unlike the K30 that I had which needed to be finessed into a delicious espresso.
- The finer adjustment mechanism can manipulate the grind enough to go from a choker to perfect pour.

I need to spend more time with the grinder before I make a final decision. Having said that, my early taste impressions coupled with the marked improvement in workflow will make it hard for me to give back regardless of the grinder's cheap esthetic and feel.

I wrote this up on my phone so I apologise in advance for any awkwardness or autocorrect fails.
Good review.

Unrooted

#36: Post by Unrooted »

I'm thinking that it'd be best to start searching for a G1.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by Jshot »

Spitz.me wrote:Early feedback report.

- The control panel buttons feel cheap and flimsy. The control panel feels like it's just a matter of time before you replace it. Again, the Vario just feels like it has a little more finesse when you interact with it.

And, that I believe is the 'rub' with this grinder. It has perfromance on par with the heavy commercial-grade expensive grinders yet is built like your typical mass produced consumer electronics item.

Advertisement
tglodjo

#38: Post by tglodjo replying to Jshot »

A fair trade-off for a $379 grinder over one that costs $1k+.

Niloch

#39: Post by Niloch »

cmin wrote:Looking forward to more user reviews as the Sette has my attention.

On the older Gaggia Classic, if I recall people adjusted opv down as it came set to high.

Thanks - after a few more pulls I'm having more success. This morning at grind setting of 7 it was about a 20 seconds shot so I may have just tamped it to hard for my first shot. Will take some time to dial in I guess.

What are most people setting this at for their Espresso?

Overall happy with the grinder, sure beats the Encore I was using last week.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by Jshot »

tglodjo wrote:A fair trade-off for a $379 grinder over one that costs $1k+.
Totally agree from a performance standpoint. I just think there are those that spend thousands on a high-end beast of an espresso machine and have pretty high expectations on grinder build quality. This is in no way a knock on Baratza.