Baratza Sette Coarse Burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
centralvalleycoffee

#1: Post by centralvalleycoffee »

Hey Guys, I just wanted to share some quick pictures that I took of the new coarse burr that baratza is sending out for testing. I will take more detailed pictures tonight but I wanted to post these right away.
I have run about 15oz of old coffee so far and I can definitely notice a difference in grind size and consistency, I know that it will change as they are more seasoned though. I haven't had a chance to brew anything with it yet but I will update this thread as I do. Let me know if you have any questions.

Royce

Coarse Burr

Original that came with the Sette

Left is the new Coarse burr

Again the left is the new one.

jja619

#2: Post by jja619 »

Nice! Mine should be on the way relatively soon. I'll probably ever only pull it out for cold brew, but it'll be nice to have the option.

Advertisement
dilin

#3: Post by dilin »

It looked kinda like the Encore burr, though I'm quite sure it's different.

centralvalleycoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by centralvalleycoffee (original poster) replying to dilin »

I'll have to get my old encore out and compare them.

choupi

#5: Post by choupi »

I'll be looking forward to whether or not you think this new burr is appropriate for a French Press or not (assuming that's one of your brew methods).

#6: Post by centralvalleycoffee (original poster) »

I was able to take some more detailed pictures of the new Coarse burr as well as the original burr. I will give more detail on the changes I have seen as I use it a bit more. Let me know if you have any questions.

Royce

Coarse burr is on the right

Coarse burr

Orignal burr

Coarse burr

Coarse burr on top

Original burr on top

Coarse burr on top

Nje

#7: Post by Nje »

Very interested in what you have to say about these. Do you know if Baratza will give it to all Sette owners? I am considering purchasing a Sette, but I only do manual brewing. I used to have a preciso grinder, but could not take it with me when I moved.

Advertisement

#8: Post by centralvalleycoffee (original poster) replying to Nje »

Currently they are sending out burrs for people to test, I just sent them an email and they sent me one. I need to do more testing but so far I'm very happy, I made a very good brew with a v60 this morning. This is a fantastic grinder for espresso and now its turning out to be a great grinder for everything else too. I will be trying a french press today to see how it does.

Royce

mcamacho

#9: Post by mcamacho »

Thanks for this info, and for the pics. How easy is it to swap out the burr sets from espresso to coarse and back? I tend to drink espresso one day and pour over the next. Would it be a big hassle to be switching the burrs every day or every other day?

#10: Post by centralvalleycoffee (original poster) replying to mcamacho »

The swap is pretty easy, takes about 30-45 seconds, you just pop out the current burr and snap the other one back in. In the future I want to get another cone holder/adjustment assembly to make the change easier though. The thing that was sent was the burr and its base that gets snapped into the adjustment assembly. If you are just making the adjustment once a day it will be absolutely no problem. If you were doing it multiple times a day it might get a bit annoying.

Royce