Baratza Sette burr wobble at coarse setting [video]

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
day

#1: Post by day »

I decided to make this a new thread so that, if it turns out I am wrong and this is a nonissue I can easily change the title and update the information. Or, if it turns out to be a one off situation then the solution can easily be noted and it will be less likely to cause confusion than if stuck in the middle of a mega thread.

So, I made a video that pretty much says it all. As the grind coarsens the inner burr can clearly wobble more and more as the grind gets coarser, either by moving the inner burr from inside the housing (easily jiggles side to side at coarse settings) or by rocking the adjustment ring as shown in the video.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

Sorry, no answer but more questions about the Sette to help understand where the wobble comes from... :P

How is the lower burr carrier fitted in place? It doesn't look like a threaded system.

Are there springs on the inside that push the lower burr carrier down so it won't wobble? Maybe the spring rating used is too low or totally missing (wild guess at this stage as I'm not even sure if there's any spring on the inside)?

Looking at the design, the carrier is kinda floating so unless there's spring or a locking system (not observable), some kind of wobble is bound to happen. If you're familiar with a Mazzer, it is just like the upper burr carrier screwed in without the 4-springs pushing up against it.

Advertisement
TheJavaCup77

#3: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Seems bad
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

ds

#4: Post by ds »

Precision. Consistency. Innovation.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

This does not look good. However, the issue would not necessarily be that there is wobble on an empty grinder (although I would not want to see any intuitively). The issue is, how does it work when loaded? That is, at the various grind points does the grinder produce consistent output? Certainly, from the video, I'd expect to see considerable fines in the coarse grinds. Has anyone analysed this? I've wanted a 270W since it was announced. I'll stick with my Preciso + Esatto, at least for a while!

ds

#6: Post by ds replying to Nunas »

That does not matter in my opinion. If wobble was acceptable all conical grinders would not bother stabilizing the burrs... When you load it it still wobbles, you just can't see it. :D But this might be par for the course given the price of the grinder.

DaveC

#7: Post by DaveC replying to ds »

My conical grinder Ceado e92 doesn't have burr wobble and I wouldn't find it remotely acceptable if it did....

Advertisement
chrisbodnarphoto

#8: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

day wrote:I decided to make this a new thread so that, if it turns out I am wrong and this is a nonissue I can easily change the title and update the information. Or, if it turns out to be a one off situation then the solution can easily be noted and it will be less likely to cause confusion than if stuck in the middle of a mega thread.

So, I made a video that pretty much says it all. As the grind coarsens the inner burr can clearly wobble more and more as the grind gets coarser, either by moving the inner burr from inside the housing (easily jiggles side to side at coarse settings) or by rocking the adjustment ring as shown in the video.
Have you contacted Baratza CS to see if it's normal or if it's a defect in your particular grinder ?

djdigy

#9: Post by djdigy »

I've emailed Baratza and send this thread link directly. Maybe they will reply soon. I hope this is fixable.

day (original poster)

#10: Post by day (original poster) »

IT was pretty late at night when I finished uploading the video, I am planning to email them today.

I'll try to get some pictures of the locking mechanisms etc to better help diagnose if this is an individual situation, or if they have an explanation for it being irrelevant.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone