Baratza Preciso / Virtuoso Grind Setting Experiences

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gobears

#1: Post by gobears »

Curious to share some experiences about grinding with the Preciso and VIrtuoso.
Now that the Virtuoso has the same burr set as the preciso, the settings are nearly the same.
I have both machines, one at home, the other at work, and use them daily.

Recently, i cupped 2 very different coffees using SCAA cupping protocols, and tried grinds of 13, 15, 17, 19.
In both cases, the 17 was best, with the 15 being also acceptable in one case, 19 being acceptable in another.

I have tried Aeropress (my daily brew method), in direct cup to cup comparisons, of several different coffees, at 9, 11, 12, 13, 15 using the Tim Wendelboe brew method (14g coffee, 200g water, 94c, 1 min brew with 3 stirs before pressing), so all comparisons were on the same brew. 11, 12, and 13 stood out as the clear winners, though 11 was sometimes too extracted and 13 sometimes too thin. 9 was always too extracted, and 15 always too thin for my brew recipe.

I have also had success with Aeropress at 17, with 80c water and 2 minutes steeps instead of the Wendelboe recipe.

Finally, I brew occasionally with V60, and grinds of 13 & 15 worked well, with 13 being the best.

Anybody else have similar experiences or feedback?

BenKeith

#2: Post by BenKeith »

I have the Virtuoso with the upgraded burr set and I've tried the finer grinds for my AeroPress, but every time I set it finer, I always end up migrating back to about 17. I know if you go on their site and look at their list of recommended grind settings, the show a 13 for the AeroPress but I find that's not for my personal taste. Mine has been sitting on 17 for about six months now and if I need something different, like for cupping and a French Press, I use a different grinder, normally my old Solis for coarser grinds and my espresso grinders for espresso.

Nate42

#3: Post by Nate42 »

You really can't compare your grind settings with others in an absolute sense. Calibration straight out of the factory varies, the calibration can inadvertently shift, and then of course there is different levels of burr wear from one user to another. I personally use around a 13 for able cone pourover, around 16 for chemex, around 1 for espresso (rarely used for espresso, but I have done it when my shoulder is too sore for the pharos), and around 22 for cold brew.

Do what tastes good is the only real rule.