Ascaso I-Mini grinder mini review

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Stuggi

#1: Post by Stuggi »

Since I haven't been able to find much on this grinder I thought I'd do a mini review.

I've been using it for a week now, and here's my pros and cons with it.

Pros:
It's cheap (179 € in Finland)
It's conical (great surprise, cause I thought they only came with flats)
It's REALLY small. It's footprint is slightly bigger than my europiccola's boiler, and it's just a tad higher than the tank knob
It's stepless, and has a nice worm gear (the burr-part of the gearing is plastic, but what the heck)
It grinds very fine and very fluffy
It's casing is made from thick steel, so it's sturdy

Cons:
The grinds buildup is pretty big, about 10 grams after grinding 5-7 singles in one day, but it cleans out pretty fast, just smack it sideways with your hand while pulsing the motor.

Other things I've noted:
People have told me it has quite a static buildup, but the only static I've seen was when I ground some supermarket light roasted beans which had a LOT of chaff among the beans. So when grinding more expensive beans, static is a non-existent problem
It's possible to CHOKE the grinder if you adjust the grind too fine. Nice to keep in mind, but not a problem since it chokes your espresso machine a lot earlier than that.

That's all, feel free to ask questions, and I'll also try to snap some pics of it one of these days...
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

Thanks for the mini-review.

Just a couple of questions for you. How noisy is it in operation? I notice some inexpensive grinders are very noisy and irritating to use. Also, how heavy is it? Weight isn't everything, but it can be a sign of how sturdy the motor and construction are.

I'm mostly curious because it might be a good, relatively cheap grinder to get as a backup drip/french press grinder. Also, I'm trying to persuade my brother to get a decent espresso grinder, but he doesn't want one that's too big or expensive.

Thanks again.
Lock and load!

Stuggi (original poster)

#3: Post by Stuggi (original poster) »

It would probably not be a good idea to use it in the middle of the night, but it's not irritating to use. Pretty decent sound level.

It's quite heavy, for it's size, so it feels sturdy and solid. I would be pretty confident banging it against a brick wall (the casing's made out of powder-coated steel which is several mm thick, mind you)

I think I'll take some pics of how the grind looks when exiting the grinder, a shot or two of it sitting besides my pavoni and finally maybe a vid showing a grinding and pulling a single.
LMWDP #136

Beezer

#4: Post by Beezer »

Excellent. Thanks for answering my questions. Sounds like it might be a real contender in the under $200 grinder category.
Lock and load!

neohk

#5: Post by neohk »

let's say grinding for a double shot, how many grams of grounds is left in the chute? i1 and i2 are notorious for it's chute design, in which pretty much grind is left behind no matter how you try to clean it out for usage. Here, I dont really mean the ease of cleaning.
Thanks

Stuggi (original poster)

#6: Post by Stuggi (original poster) »

Well, I knocked out two weeks of stuck grinds today, at least 20 grams. Seems as if when grinding very oily beans they form a layer inside the lower chute assembly. This layer sticks very well, so it takes at least a day or two before the grinds lose so much oil that they come unstuck.
LMWDP #136

neohk

#7: Post by neohk replying to Stuggi »

In your opinion, is the problem of wastage significant? I dont wanna waste the beans, especially those lovely ones 8)

Stuggi (original poster)

#8: Post by Stuggi (original poster) »

Well, my current beans came in a 1 kg bag, so I'm not too concerned. I knock out the old grinds every morning before I use the machine (or when I change blend), and I don't get more than maybe 10 grams of waste per day. So, I don't consider it to be very much, I waste more on tamping, leveling and dial-in shot per day.
LMWDP #136

neohk

#9: Post by neohk »

approximately how many shots do you pull normally in one day?

Stuggi (original poster)

#10: Post by Stuggi (original poster) »

5-7 doubles
LMWDP #136