Any experience with bulk grinders making espresso?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bostonbuzz

#1: Post by bostonbuzz »

The EK43 brought into everyone's head the idea of making espresso using a bulk grinder. However, this machine is not unique. It seems that most of the bulk grinders with machined burrs can handle espresso. The issues are retention and adjustability. I'd like to make a list of ones that could possibly work.

• Mahlkonig (guatemala, EK43, etc.)
• Ditting (they have some machine with much larger burrs than the 98mm EK43)
• Bunn
• Bunnzilla (bunn g1/2/3 with Ditting 804 burrs) - I know many here have done this, how's the 'spro/retention?
• Compak R series?
LMWDP #353

LaDan

#2: Post by LaDan »

My Ditting with its 120mm flat burrs (originally with the cast burrs, not the new fully machined), was originally serving as the espresso grinder in the Starbux kiosk in one of them Border Book Stores. (RIP. - the store, not my Ditting).

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#3: Post by mivanitsky »

My Mahlkonig Tanzania works fine for espresso. With RDT, you can single-dose as well, with very low retention (like <0.1g). I didn't believe it either, but it is very reproducible here.

The espresso is fine, but I still mainly use the HG One. Tanz is good enough that it keeps me from dragging Kony home from work, when I need an electric grinder.

Synesso, VST baskets.

Mike Ivanitsky

endlesscycles

#4: Post by endlesscycles »

Basically any grinder with reasonably parallel burrs should be fine for espresso. Even the EK needs to be zeroed tight to make it happen right. What's especially nice about the EK is the low retention for an easy pre-dosing regiment. Without this trait, I don't think the grinder could have the reception it has had. The fact that it has an especially even grind is a bonus, but exists in part as a function of having flat burrs. On my bench is a Baratza Vario, a K-30 Vario, an EK-43, and a Bunn G1. I like them all, but if I could only have one, the EK would have to be it.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

redpig

#5: Post by redpig »

I've finally got my Bunzilla (G9T-HD w/Ditting 804s) grinding in the espresso range. With the original Bunn cast burrs, it was producing shots that were different but gave my DRM68 a run for the money. It did take a bit more distribution/grooming (I do pretty much zero distribution work normall). I haven't put it through too much testing yet though because it lives in my basement (until I get it in a size/shape that works on the counter).

As to retention - once the burrs have had some coffee through them, it loses about a 0.2g-0.5g per shot to caking on the side of the exit funnel (no tapper).

The G9 is great for adjustments because it has a very fine thread on the adjustment screw and it's not hidden away like on the LPG -- it's just not a knob like on the g1/2/3.
LMWDP #411

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

I've been saying it for about a year now, the Ditting 1203 with new machined burrs makes phenomenal espresso. It's all I've used. The HG-One is just sitting pretty, on a shelf.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bostonbuzz (original poster)

#7: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

I've been saying it for about a year now, the Ditting 1203 with new machined burrs makes phenomenal espresso. It's all I've used. The HG-One is just sitting pretty, on a shelf.
Wow, interesting to hear. I'll have to find a way to bunzilla things - already parted it out. I'm also looking into modifying a SJ grinder, sine the kenia burrs are 65mm (vs. SJ's 64mm). I'm keeping my eye out for a good Bunn G1.
LMWDP #353

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Terranova »

bostonbuzz wrote:I'm also looking into modifying a SJ grinder, sine the kenia burrs are 65mm (vs. SJ's 64mm).
Just have a double check before purchasing.
The Kenia & Guatemala lab are turning anticlockwise whereas the SJ clockwise.

jedovaty

#9: Post by jedovaty »

My grindmonster makes espresso, though, it is cumbersome to dial in. Results are interesting.

caffeinezombie

#10: Post by caffeinezombie »

Out of curiosity, does anyone here use a 804 for espresso brewing? What kind of size range would you normally set it to?