Alternative burrs for Rancilio Rocky

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rama

#1: Post by rama »

My Rancilio Rocky is due for replacement burrs. After reading about the Ditting burrs in the Vario, I'm curious if there is a better alternative to OEM replacement burrs?

Disclaimer: I grind for brewed coffee only, so please no "replace it with an HG One" comments. :)

MSH

#2: Post by MSH »

Rama,
I'm in the same boat as you with the Rocky. I'm very intrigued by the Vario + Ditting metal burrs as well. I replaced the burrs on my Rocky about a year and a half ago and did the teflon tape mod, which helped from an espresso grinding perspective. I'm 99.9% brewed coffee anyways, so at this point espresso grinding is of little importance to me.
As far as I can tell there are no other options other than the OEM 50mm burrs. My Rocky has pretty much sat unused for the past year + since I picked up a OE Lido. The Lido is a fantastic grinder and grind quality is excellent. Bard & Doug at OE are great to work with and recently upgraded mine with the latest/greatest improvements since I was one of the early adopters.
At any rate, I'm curious if you do find any other burr options for the Rocky. I think I'm ready to put mine of the market, so I can pick up the Vario+Ditting burrs