Added a Mazzer Mini Hopper to a La Pavoni Zip

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
forbeskm

#1: Post by forbeskm »

I picked up a La Pavoni Zip a while back off of feebay and it was missing its hopper and in its place had a hideous aluminum funnel. The doser need some light sanding of the internals with 400 grit to get things functioning smoothly again. (thanks to Home-barista forum for help on the doser issues) A new set of burrs and a new hopper was needed.

I had read on here in a few places that people were considering the Mazzer Mini hopper because it is short. Given the height of the Zip already I did not want the standard Zip hopper. So I asked Cafe Parts the size and well I decided to go with it. The base is smaller than the Zip so it required wrapping the base in some UHMW tape I had for another project around the base to take up the desired thickness. I am sure one could have used other tape, rubber, etc but it was handy and you can't see it when its together. The base was tapered so it made for a few bumps in the tape as I wrapped it around but you can't see that in the end product.

http://cafeparts.com/productDetail1.asp?ItemID=72814

So now I have the Zip all set up new burrs, new hopper, now I just need to get a new tamper head turned down to 49mm for my 74 Pavoni basket!