2015 HG-1 stepped grinding ranges

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lkrs2000

#1: Post by lkrs2000 »

I am considering purchasing an HG-1 grinder but I want to understand the grinding ranges in the new stepped version before pulling the trigger.
I am particularly interested in espresso and french press grinding but I believe other people might benefit by compiling this info for other grinds as well.
I did contact LN customer support but I did get a complete or clear answer as I was told that it depends on each grinder's burr sets and other variables.

We know that we have 15 macro adjustments and 5 micro adjustments giving us 75 adjustments overall to cover different styles/methods.
how many of those stepped adjustments are available for espresso grinding?
Again, the answer will vary according to a number of variables including espresso machine, coffee beans, etc.

Ideally, I would like to compile a complete list. Maybe something like this:

extra fine(turkish): (0..1 1/5)
fine(espresso): (1 1/5 .. e2 )
medium(drip): ( m1 .. m2 )
coarse(french press): ( c1 .. c2 )

pinky-and-me

#2: Post by pinky-and-me »

There are only micro adjustments and you can use them for any type of grind. You can do multiple full 360 rotations or a single micro adjustment - it depends on what you need.
Also, the adjustment measuring ring is not attached to the grinder so you can rotate it any way you want (without changing the grind) which makes a list/table meaningless (due to lack of a true zero notch).
I believe there has been a number of threads about how much movement of the burrs does a single notch correspond to but I doubt that would give you any way to measure grind coarseness.
All I can tell you is that for two different set of beans I have had to make an adjustment of over 10 micro adjustments for espresso.

lkrs2000 (original poster)

#3: Post by lkrs2000 (original poster) »

Thanks for your feedback on having to make and being able to do 10+ micro adjustments when switching coffee beans. It helps me to get a sense of how much I can optimize my grind. I have used other stepped grinders where I would get the sense that just another in-between adjustment was all that was needed for the optimal grind. I have read quite a few disparate threads touching on multiple subjects but I wanted to quantify as much as possible how I would be able to customize my espresso grind.
How many full turns can you make?
I actually missed this. I need to go back to the instructions. Thanks again for your much appreciated feedback.

15x5 marked adjustments in the ring
HG-1 thread pitch 1mm
Each adjustment is about .013mm (13um)

pinky-and-me

#4: Post by pinky-and-me »

Well, I gave the 10+ micro adjustments as an extreme example. It really all depends on the beans.
I've noticed people mention that a single notch could give you a 2 sec difference in the extraction time and some people say that a single notch doesn't do anything.
When I make adjustments I usually do at least 2 micro notches.

As for the full turns, you can make many because that is how you remove the bottom burr assembly from the burr holder, you just unscrew the assembly. I don't know after how many the grind is too coarse for any kind of extraction.

#5: Post by lkrs2000 (original poster) »

I just placed an order for an HG-1. I guess in the end one has to try the real thing; there is just so much you can glean from written manuals.
My primary use is for home espresso and french press(fp). Hopefully, it won't be too much trouble to dial it in and go back and forth between espresso and fp.

leozava
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by leozava »

One thing that I would find useful is how many "steps" ppl are using between Espresso aeropress and pour over?? I.e. grind for Espresso at 2, 4 for aeropress and 7 for chemex. The numbers would correspond to the numbers on the ring, I have the 2016 model

ilker

#7: Post by ilker »

No troubles at all. Its very easy to adjust the grind.
You won't have any wasted coffee in between sessions too. There is almost no retention on HG one

#8: Post by lkrs2000 (original poster) »

Yup. I can see that being useful to new owners like me. Basically, that would attempt "normalize" the fact that zero points between different grinders are not identical. I do wonder how useful it would be given the differences in bean, espresso machines, dosing, etc.

#9: Post by lkrs2000 (original poster) »

ilker,

Grind quality, low retention, single dose, etc made me pull the trigger to purchase the HG-1.
What grinding ranges do you use?

ilker

#10: Post by ilker »

I can tell you the roughly ranges for me as below.
However I believe it is highly dependent to the type of coffees, dose, baskets, etc

From the zero point: (zero point is where the burrs slightly start to touch each other. Roughly 7-8clicks far from the real zero, where burrs touch and locked)

0-90degree is for turkish
180-270degree is for espresso
270-360 degree is for drip
more than full turn can be used for french press. However I am not sure, I never did it.

1click change on the ring doesn't really make any big change. I guess about 1.1-1.2sec on the pour time. Therefore I always adjust 2-3clicks when I need.
So you can call it stepless grinder.