2014 HG one grinder - Page 38

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jagobear

#371: Post by jagobear »

It is a good questions, why do robur have two different types of burrs?

weebit_nutty

#372: Post by weebit_nutty »

FotonDrv wrote:One is easier to crank.
True.. The bead blasted ones I imagine to be frustratingly difficult with light roasts, given even with my TiN coated burrs, the machine has buckled on me a few times.. At 83mm, I don't think anyone in their right mind would want anything other than TiN coated burrs.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#373: Post by FotonDrv »

jagobear wrote:It is a good questions, why do robur have two different types of burrs?
Different coatings AND different diameters. 71mm and 83mm depending on voltage of the grinder I believe. Someone please correct me if that voltage thing is incorrect.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Beenbag

#374: Post by Beenbag »

Yes, the 71mm set is used in the single phase spec, and the 83mm burrs in the 3 phase spec Robur.....it's a more powerful machine.

TomC
Team HB

#375: Post by TomC »

jagobear wrote:It is a good questions, why do robur have two different types of burrs?
FotonDrv wrote:Different coatings AND different diameters. 71mm and 83mm depending on voltage of the grinder I believe. Someone please correct me if that voltage thing is incorrect.

You got it right, 83mm is 3 phase 220v, 71 is single phase 110v. :D
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Beenbag

#376: Post by Beenbag »

The voltage is not the deciding factor.
For instance, in Europe, UK, Australia, etc,...single phase is 220-250 volts and 3 phase is 420-440 volts.
Obviously Mazzer and others fit motors to suit the local voltage, so the Aussie single phase Robur will be 220-240 volt but still 71mm burr set.
The big change with 3 phase motors is the higher starting torque.

day

#377: Post by day »

weebit_nutty wrote:Ultimately it resulted in an endless stream of posts debating or extolling the virtues of each burr design..
That sounds like the absolute last thing a company would want. Better to just pick one to sell so everyone will stop talking about which option is more fantastic :D
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#378: Post by FotonDrv »

I have both the 71mm and the 83mm burr sets for the HG-One and the only real obvious difference I could tell was the 71mm burrs took less effort to crank.

I never did try a TiN 71mm burr in the grinder but I would suspect the cranking effort would be much less than the 71mm BB burrs.

Interesting info about Australia. 440v for 3 phase and 240v for single phase. Can you get a 440v Robur?

Beenbag

#379: Post by Beenbag »

Whilst I have never personally seen one, there are discussions about cafe's with 3 phase Roburs installed at great expense as really this is "industrial" class electrical equipment.
I suspect these will become even more rare as compact inverter drive systems are now available that can replicate the multi phase (3ph, 6ph, or more) supply for high torque , multi phase, motor designs.
Even small kitchen and garden equipment is now powered this way ( "Brushless" motors)

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#380: Post by FotonDrv »

I have been using one of those drives on my table saw for 30 years and it has never given any trouble, nor has the saw motor!