2014 HG one grinder - Page 37

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
javaman

#361: Post by javaman »

60 turns for 13.5g is exactly the same number of turns for my $30 vintage PeDe. This seems strange. The PeDe burrs are tiny compared to the 83mm HG-1 burrs. I am grinding to the same level of fineness however so maybe it's not so much about the diameter. I thought earlier in this mega-thread people were reporting 17-18 turns for 14g on the HG-1

jagobear

#362: Post by jagobear »

My hg one 2014 version is after market tin 83mm burr, for 18 gram espresso grind setting, around 23 turns now

brianl

#363: Post by brianl replying to jagobear »

I have the same burr and model and my turns is identical to yours.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#364: Post by FotonDrv »

Pretty easy to turn the crank with the TiN isn't it :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

jagobear

#365: Post by jagobear »

It is amazing for around 20 turns 18gram after break in (esp grind setting), but strengh is more than before

coffeedom

#366: Post by coffeedom »

I think an important question here, in addition to ease of use, is: are there any taste differences between the BB Mazzer and the aftermarket TiN? They are different burrs with different geometries, so they are doing slightly different things to the beans. Does one make nicer tasting espresso?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#367: Post by FotonDrv »

I could not detect a difference.

brianl

#368: Post by brianl »

coffeedom wrote:I think an important question here, in addition to ease of use, is: are there any taste differences between the BB Mazzer and the aftermarket TiN? They are different burrs with different geometries, so they are doing slightly different things to the beans. Does one make nicer tasting espresso?
If one was noticeably better, I doubt they'd sell both.

weebit_nutty

#369: Post by weebit_nutty replying to brianl »

That actually brings up a good question--why do they offer both? The burrs all have their pros and cons, so maybe this has more to do with availability of burr supply.. It seems offering multiple types just creates more confusion and questions. Ultimately it resulted in an endless stream of posts debating or extolling the virtues of each burr design.. This just creates even more questions lol.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#370: Post by FotonDrv »

One is easier to crank.