2014 HG one grinder - Page 36

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
subq

#351: Post by subq »

I was talking to anyone willing to reply. :)
LMWDP #357

Bikeminded

#352: Post by Bikeminded »

I went with the TIN aftermarket and have been satisfied.

subq

#353: Post by subq »

I guess I will just stick to the Mazzers for no other reason than I know the name and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info/history on the tin burrs.

*edit* or maybe I will give the tin a try, the corrosion resistance could be a plus, the air here is usually 100% humidity and salty though that probably doesn't really matter anyway in terms of the grinder, FDA claims it is safe :)
LMWDP #357

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#354: Post by FotonDrv »

I tried both 83mm TiN Aftermarket and the 83mm BB AND the 71mm BB.

The 71mm BB feels/requires the same amount of strength as the 83mm TiN, BUT the TiN took forever to grind the same amount of beans.

I presently use the 83mm BB burrs and they grind just fine and in fairly quick fashion.

When I motorized my HG-One, after the 71 and the 83mm burrs had been broken in, I picked the 83mm burrs to use for the daily grind.

Do not worry about RDT hurting the burrs. Rocks and metal particles are the burr killers.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

subq

#355: Post by subq »

interesting... so the 83 tin take longer than the 83 bb when grinding?

their site suggests the opposite but I have no idea...if RDT is no problem in regards to corrosion it seems it would mostly just boil down to speed (at least for me since I'm pulling over dosed doubles)

***edit*** trigger pulled, add me to the list of hg one owners, I just went with the bb mazzer, looking forward to it
LMWDP #357

SeanSheep

#356: Post by SeanSheep »

I had a little bit of a discussion about the burrs with Craig from HG-One and although it's a bit confusing I think ultimately it came down to the fact that all things being equal and once the burrs are broken in, the Mazzer burrs are slightly harder to turn for a slightly quicker grind (slightly fewer turns for same bean weight) and the TiN coated burrs are slightly easier to turn for a slightly slower grind (slightly more turns for same bean weight).

Did I mention slightly? I think the difference is pretty small.

I went for the Mazzer BB burrs for the same reason stated previously. I know and trust the brand and the idea of slighly fewer rotations once broken in won me over.

subq

#357: Post by subq »

aye, I know the name and I guess a .5-3 turn savings is more attractive than slightly easier turning (for me)...compared to the backup hand grinder I'm using right now it probably cranks like a dream (this little hario will wear you out when grinding for espresso!) :)

thanks for the reply
LMWDP #357

weebit_nutty

#358: Post by weebit_nutty »

Well if any of this helps---

I sort of have the "best" of both worlds I guess, as I have TiN coated Mazzer burrs--if going with a brand name manufacturer is considered better <shrug>..

I've been very happy with my HG-One and these burrs. So much so that I went with the same exact same burrs when I purchased a second HG-One. They were tried and true, why would I want to go with something different? The TiN coating reduces friction making grinding significantly easier, which is their main advantage. Sure, it might require more cranks but that has never been a problem for me. My desire is in the pleasure of using the grinder. Zero difficulty, and a little longer only means more enjoyment for me.

I have several espresso machines, and the doses I grind are typically 7.5g singles to 15g doubles, and anywhere in between, depending on my mood and the machine I'm using. The most number of cranks I'll do is 60 for a 15g dose of light-roasted beans---this includes the 15 or so extra cranks I do to clear the burrs completely (that is 1 full turn, followed by half a turn in reverse, then repeated until I feel zero resistance and hear nothing being grounded, all told about half a gram). More typically it's about 36 turns for a 13.4 gram dose, plus 10 to clear the half gram from the burrs. Mind you this is grinding at a rate of 1.5 rotations per second. The faster you grind the less efficient each rotation (vice versa). If I slow to 1 rotation per second, it'll take about 30 turns for 13.4, plus 6 clearing turns.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

SeanSheep

#359: Post by SeanSheep »

weebit_nutty wrote: Mind you this is grinding at a rate of 1.5RPM. The fast you grind the less efficient each rotation (vice versa). If I slow to 1RPM, it'll take about 30 turns for 13.4, plus 6 clearing turns.
I've found exactly the same thing. If I up the speed that I turn the handle, the number of turns taken to grind the beans also increases.

My Mazzer BB burrs are nowhere near "broken in" yet but for 19g I'm at about 48-50 turns with a slow crank (say 60rpm) and that goes up to about 55-60 if I speed up to say 90rpm (1.5 turns per second).

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#360: Post by FotonDrv »

That speed (rpm) in cranking was why I went with a motor that turns the crank as close to 60 rpm as possible. That slow methodical cranking seemed to work best for me.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train