2014 HG one grinder - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SpaceTime

#211: Post by SpaceTime »

OldmatefromOZ wrote:Yes, I think some one else said not to far back in this thread that if you find that the steps are not fine enough for espresso, you probably have other problems in your preparation that need addressing and I agree with this.

I said the same thing a couple of pages back, the stepped adjustment is a dream to use, its very quick and easy to make adjustments.

Overall, I had some static issues earlier on, I played about with earthing the grinder and RDT. I have found that bad static is mostly bean dependent and if its hot and windy the problem can be substantially amplified. I think also that as the burrs have seasoned it has become much less of a problem. RDT works and its quick / easy, whether its a drop or two of water, a fine mist from a little spray bottle or a tiny burst from the steam wand.

I have found it is much easier just to grind into a paper cup, I then distribute into the portafilter, a couple of light taps on the bench to settle the grinds and then tamp. My extractions using naked pf are very even with no spritzing.

Its a simple, elegant grinder and easy to use. It will probably outlast me.
The service from the HG one guys is second to none.
Agree 100% with everything stated - well put! I too grind into a different vessel - in my case a conical shaped stainless one cup measuring cup.with a flat bottom. It allows me to do a gentle shake of the grind for a nice even distribution before transferring to the PF. I live in Arizona, static capital of the world, so RDT is essential - and as stated it only takes a tiny drop or two.

The HG One is an outstanding grinder - easy to use, and consistent results. I have had a few conversations with Craig at HG One over the last few months - great support and very responsive!
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

jagobear

#212: Post by jagobear »

I see some website say that the burr of robur suggest 30kg beans for break in,is it true?

Hg one website suggest instant rice to boost up the breaking process,is it the same of the rice uncooked?

MarkH

#213: Post by MarkH »

Thanks guys for your impressions.

My 2014 HG One is on its way. Very excited! I'll share my impressions.

weebit_nutty

#214: Post by weebit_nutty »

Everyone is different. Apparently a few folks have stated they were happy with the results right out of the box.

Whether or not you need to season your burrs, it seems, is entirely up to you.

I know it's been stated before but why don't people just try the coffee first. Too many people on here are hung up on technicalities without ever even taking a sip.

Base your decisions on what ends up in your cup, first and foremost.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

zix

#215: Post by zix »

weebit_nutty wrote:Everyone is different. Apparently a few folks have stated they were happy with the results right out of the box.
And also, the HG One comes with three different kinds of burrs. Making any conclusions or firm numbers regarding seasoning based on what you read here is impossible.
I know it's been stated before but why don't people just try the coffee first. Too many people on here are hung up on technicalities without ever even taking a sip.
Base your decisions on what ends up in your cup, first and foremost.
Well said. And this applies to everything coffee. Don't be afraid to try it, even if you think you failed - you have nothing to lose. Use your hands, eyes, nose, ears, your muscle sense and your mind when preparing and extracting, and bring your heart into it when trying new coffee blends or singles, when roasting, and when serving it. New ideas and insights will come. Never think you know everything, coffee will surprise you. I know it does for me, after 18 years with espresso there is still so much to learn, so much to see.
LMWDP #047

SpaceTime

#216: Post by SpaceTime »

MarkH wrote:Thanks guys for your impressions.

My 2014 HG One is on its way. Very excited! I'll share my impressions.
Mark - cool and congrats! WIll be waiting for your first impressions... or second... :D
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

RioCruz

#217: Post by RioCruz »

YAHOOOOO!!!! :)

I pronounce this mill perfect! My criteria for perfection are:

1. Hand driven.
2. A side crank.
3. Flywheel.
4. Provide excellent grounds.
5. Low grounds retention.
6. Beautiful.

PERFECTION! :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

bronsht

#218: Post by bronsht »

Rio,
I'll trade ya.

RioCruz

#219: Post by RioCruz replying to bronsht »

Notachance! :)

RioCruz

#220: Post by RioCruz »

OK...I give up! Can someone please tell me how these symbols relate to grinding? Hmmm...???

I read the page about them on the HG-1 website and I know they are some sort of cryptic puzzle somewhat related to the dots on dominoes...but...I'm not getting it. Anyone???