2014 HG one grinder - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SpaceTime

#201: Post by SpaceTime »

Cafedenda wrote:I don't think you'll need to realign often unless you loosen the mounting screws. Here's from an out of alignment grind. Basket size is 49mm. I had big boulders and probably a lot of fines. Extraction blonded very early on.

<image>
Hokey smokes - what did you use to grind that dose - a workboot?
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

weebit_nutty

#202: Post by weebit_nutty »

SpaceTime wrote:Tastes like.... blueberries! :lol: 8)

(an inside joke)

Cheers Scott...
hahaha (shaking my fist at you).

BTW, my 2014 is still in the box.. she's a beautie but been so busy haven't had time to even play with it.

Anyone here use their HG One's strictly for brew?
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Advertisement
achipman

#203: Post by achipman replying to weebit_nutty »

I wouldn't say its strictly for brew but pour-over definitely dominates my routines most of the time.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

SpaceTime

#204: Post by SpaceTime »

jagobear wrote:How do i know the alignment of my hg one is precision or not? When will need to recal again?
Jago - see here, poster "achipman" gave some nice pics on what an aligned HG One looks like: Dialing in the HG One

Not sure if that is what you were after, but the 95% confidence alignment on the HG One is easy (thanks Craig).

To get the additional <5% alignment confidence, Scott (whole_lot_nutty) is right, that would require micrometers and a whole lot of tools you really don't need. Get it to 95%, and marvel at the particle consistency.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

achipman

#205: Post by achipman »

Cafedenda wrote:I don't think you'll need to realign often unless you loosen the mounting screws. Here's from an out of alignment grind. Basket size is 49mm. I had big boulders and probably a lot of fines. Extraction blonded very early on.

<image>
Were you able to diagnose and fix the alignment problem? or are you still getting the massive boulders and powdery fines?

I ask because that grind looks exactly like mine did before I solved the issue.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

Javier

#206: Post by Javier »

achipman wrote:I wouldn't say its strictly for brew but pour-over definitely dominates my routines most of the time.
How do you like your 2014 HG-One, when paired with your pour-over device of choice (Chemex; V60; etc.)?
LMWDP #115

achipman

#207: Post by achipman replying to Javier »

I love it. I don't know what variable has changed exactly, but it has made my morning pour-over (Chemex mostly) more flavorful and smooth... balanced between the savory flavors akin to the smell of the beans being ground and the sweetness you smell during roasting. My guess is that the variable responsible for the change is the consistency of the grind. I have the Mazzer BB 83's so it is much the same as using a slow turning Robur for drip. It does beautifully.

Ok... I think the horse is a gonner... now where's by stick? :lol:

Advertisement
Cafedenda

#208: Post by Cafedenda »

I have a first batch HG-One. Never commented on it because I got it resolved myself (using JohnB's posts on the S1 forum) and ended spending more time messing with it than I should. I had one heck of a time loosening the 1 of the screws. I spent a few hours trying different methods and finally had to add a bit of Liquid Wrench to get it loosened. Spent a few more hours aligning and realigning it to get it to an acceptable state. I'll realign it again one of these days as I can still see a slight uneveness at the burrs and the particle variance is still greater than from my K10. Maybe this is a characteristic of the 83mm vs the 71mm and I just don't know how to dial it in right.

MarkH

#209: Post by MarkH »

Hello! As a long time lurker here, I finally decided to join the discussion :wink:

In the beginning of this thread there was a rather lengthy discussion if the new stepped design was sufficient for making fine adjustments of the grind setting. But at that time, the 2014 version of the grinder was not available and therefore the discussion was more or less academic.

So to the owners of the 2014 HG One, is the resolution of the steps adequate for making really fine adjustments for espresso? And in general, are you happy with the 2014 HG One so far?

Thanks!

OldmatefromOZ

#210: Post by OldmatefromOZ replying to MarkH »

Yes, I think some one else said not to far back in this thread that if you find that the steps are not fine enough for espresso, you probably have other problems in your preparation that need addressing and I agree with this.

I said the same thing a couple of pages back, the stepped adjustment is a dream to use, its very quick and easy to make adjustments.

Overall, I had some static issues earlier on, I played about with earthing the grinder and RDT. I have found that bad static is mostly bean dependent and if its hot and windy the problem can be substantially amplified. I think also that as the burrs have seasoned it has become much less of a problem. RDT works and its quick / easy, whether its a drop or two of water, a fine mist from a little spray bottle or a tiny burst from the steam wand.

I have found it is much easier just to grind into a paper cup, I then distribute into the portafilter, a couple of light taps on the bench to settle the grinds and then tamp. My extractions using naked pf are very even with no spritzing.

Its a simple, elegant grinder and easy to use. It will probably outlast me.
The service from the HG one guys is second to none.