2014 HG one grinder - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
meastway

#191: Post by meastway »

jagobear wrote:...may i know how many grams of beans need to get seasoned...?
All of them.
LMWDP #313

brandherd

#192: Post by brandherd »

SpaceTime wrote: Rice - if you tried to grind the rice on your espresso setting, that could be half the problem. Recommendation is stay in drip range for rice...
indeed, this was the problem, thanks ;-)
I had another chance trying some rice after my gf added a little too much water that resulted in a soft coffee dough that got stuck in my new grinder :evil:
before adding the rice I opened the burrs one full turn and it worked almost with ease. I know a bit about sharpening and honing, too, so I figured it might be a good idea grinding the rice from coarse to fine. I did 3 iterations, with a very fine espresso setting at the end.
I only ground about 20 grams altogether but already the number of turns has decreased by about 40%.
Suppose it worked...

SpaceTime

#193: Post by SpaceTime replying to brandherd »

:lol: soft coffee dough - maybe you have a new angle! Grind to a soft mush, then pack into portafilter into a puck shape - saves the pre-infusion step! Or make a distribution funnel with many small holes - coffee spaghetti!

It is good to hear in the end that German rice is not vastly harder than others, that's one internet myth solved!

As for water / RDT - it only takes a drop or two - don't over do it. Whenever I hear "spray" the beans pre-grind I always imagine the potential for too much water. It doesn't take much.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#194: Post by FotonDrv »

SpaceTime wrote: As for water / RDT - it only takes a drop or two - don't over do it. Whenever I hear "spray" the beans pre-grind I always imagine the potential for too much water. It doesn't take much.
I have been using one of these and it works well, hard to over use the sprayer.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/vermouth-at ... fgod2nAA-A
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

SpaceTime

#195: Post by SpaceTime replying to FotonDrv »

I have something very similar I use for my optics / astronomy equipment cleaning... That is definitely a fine enough mist and atomization that it won't "overdo" it.

I just might give it a try for RDT thanks for sharing.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

jagobear

#196: Post by jagobear »

How do i know the alignment of my hg one is precision or not? When will need to recal again?

weebit_nutty

#197: Post by weebit_nutty replying to jagobear »

If you have to ask you're doing it wrong. The answer is in the cup.

But of course if you want to spend countless hours obsessing over alignment by all means whip out the micrometer, magnifying glass, and whatever your techie heart desires :)

My favorite tool happens to be my taste buds.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

jagobear

#198: Post by jagobear »

U are right:P

SpaceTime

#199: Post by SpaceTime »

weebit_nutty wrote: My favorite tool happens to be my taste buds.
Tastes like.... blueberries! :lol: 8)

(an inside joke)

Cheers Scott...

Cafedenda

#200: Post by Cafedenda »

jagobear wrote:How do i know the alignment of my hg one is precision or not? When will need to recal again?
I don't think you'll need to realign often unless you loosen the mounting screws. Here's from an out of alignment grind. Basket size is 49mm. I had big boulders and probably a lot of fines. Extraction blonded very early on.