20 year old Mazzer Super Jolly - How much will a new set of burrs help.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Back in February I purchased a Rancilio Silvia V3 and a ~20 year old Mazzer Super Jolly (Dated 1995), the seller never disclosed the burrs had been replaced... but upon my examination they did not look TOO old (No silvering). Ever since I've thought how much will new burrs help, I currently get pretty moderate clumpage, not like as bad as a Rocky or doserless mod, but I do get them... Will this help with that? I've also noticed that especially lately my shots seem to be not so full bodied, and that goes for just about any beans I've used. I think the culprit may be the burrs as well... I find that when using a bottomless portafilter I get early blonding and lots of dead space. Has anyone else had this issue and then gotten new burrs? Did it make a difference?

A lot of this has been posted in my Silvia thread from a few weeks ago, Take a look at the video posted within, maybe it will ring some bells!

Thanks. :)
(One other note, the burrs do not seem to have any mazzer branding on them, and most SJ burrs that I've seen do..)

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

Get
New
Burrs

...please! You will be happy that you did. For all we spend on equipment, we should not be stingy with the most important aspects of coffee.
Scott
LMWDP #248

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#3: Post by mivanitsky »

SJ burrs are very inexpensive. I think even the "duranium" burrs are reasonably priced. If the grinder has unknown history, was in a shop, or is more than a year old, you should definitely replace them.

- Mike

russel

#4: Post by russel »

Get new burrs.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

takeshi

#5: Post by takeshi »

No way for us to tell. Get new burrs. They don't cost much and you can't rely on just looking at them.

csader

#6: Post by csader »

Putting new burrs in my Super Jolly was like night and day. Assuming there's nothing else fundamentally wrong with the grinder, burrs would be a great investment.

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#7: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

So, I purchased new official burrs from 1st Line.. and there is one thing for me to say.. Oh My God! The minute I put them on I realized I was grinding SUPER fine, now I have to go almost a half turn from my previous setting with the old burrs.. not to mention.. No more early blonding! And minimal clumps.. now I am in love with my Mazzer again.