Buyer's Guide to the Gaggia Achille - Page 15

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#141: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Dan and I had been discussing pull techniques and pressure offline. I decided it was easier to show than explain so I made a start to finish video a few days ago.

I did a three pull flush because I was going a little slower than normal for the video. The machine gave me a big squeak on the first flush pull. That is the first and only time that has happened. I may have pulled the lever off center.

I tend to tamp hard, if you listen you can hear the kitchen counter creak. Notice how I lock my arm at shoulder height and then roll my shoulder into the pull then dip letting my body weight do the work instead of my arm muscle.

«missing video»
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#142: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

General shot observations

I have had enough time with the Achille to feel confident in making some general espresso observations.

I have been enjoying the Achille since its arrival. The espresso it produces has that characteristic thick buttery mouth feel that lever machines produce. I get slightly less body than the shots I get from my Gaggia Factory. In trade, I get more high notes and better separation in flavor. I also get more volume and more persistent crema. The Achille easily produces shots that far outclass those of the La Pavoni style machine.

The high wattage of the heating element gives the machine almost instant recovery. That fast recovery translates to a mid to high temperature range preference according to my taste buds. I find that the lighter roast levels (city+ to full city) produce the best cup. The darker roasts which tend to work better at lower temperatures are challenging. Dan (HB) had the idea of letting the machine heat to temperature then kill the power and do the cooling flush. With the heating element off, the recovery time should be slower and allow for the lower end of the temperature spectrum. You could also adjust the pressurestat down to draw out the recovery and make the lower temperatures easy. More testing is needed.

More testing and comparison is in the wings. Not owning an Olympia Cremina I can not make a direct comparison to it. I will be doing some machine comparisons thanks to our own KarlSchneider who lives close by and owns both the Elektra and Cremina. Dan also owns both machines and will chime in over time with his observations.
Dave Stephens

jesawdy

#143: Post by jesawdy »

Dave-

Great videos... really enjoying your review.

I am interested in some more comparisons to the Gaggia Factory as I have that machine....

I was surprised by the volume of espresso in your cup in the latest video (showing body motion in pulling). On the Gaggia Factory, I would guess 2.5 to 3 pulls to get that volume, or is that not your experience? How many pulls on the Gaggia Factory would yield that same volume for you? I haven't spent lots of time with the Gaggia Factory yet (mostly 'cause I've been waiting for the Tamper roadshow to come my way before I buy a real tamper for it), but I have had some good crema shots, but always smaller volumes than I would pull on my pump machines.

Also, earlier on in this thread, you said that the Gaggia Factory (and since its the same machine, it would apply to most la Pavoni machines) would overheat just idle for too long. Is that the same experience that others here on HB have had? I haven't left the Factory on for long periods of time before pulling, but I didn't think it would overheat unless actively pulling successive shots.
Jeff Sawdy

HB
Admin

#144: Post by HB »

This morning I brought the Gaggia Achille to the regular espresso lab at Counter Culture Coffee. Unfortunately I was the only non-employee there, but me, Mark, and David had fun pulling shots. The session began by dialing in the Robur grinder with some nicely rested Toscano on the La Marzocco FB-70. For comparison purposes, it's convenient that the same baskets and grind settings worked for the LM and the Achille.

Mark got the first two shots out of the gate from the Achille. He was genuinely surprised by the quality of the shots, or at least the intonation of his comment, "This espresso was from that machine?" suggested he was pleasantly surprised. He asked Gee to take a break from roasting to check it out. "Wow, that espresso has huge chocolates! Is it Black Cat?" he asked after the first sip. His comment was very interesting, because it was his own Toscano blend! Perhaps he assumed it was Black Cat because I frequently have Intelligentsia's espresso blends on hand, but what I found interesting was how much difference the espresso machine can introduce, in this case their regular LM versus a small home lever. I asked him what he found different between the two: "When I think of Toscano, caramels, sweetness, and butterscotch come to mind. Now that I pay closer attention, I recognize the signature Toscano flavors in the cup, but I'm surprised by the chocolates of that shot."

Different machines, different results, both very enjoyable. I raise this point because some may be surprised by the difference between their favorite cafe's espresso versus the same blend prepared at home. While the espressos I make on my E61 are recognized as siblings of the same espresso prepared on an LM, you would think they were only cousins prepared on the Achille. Again, it's comparing good results against good results, but not the same results.
jesawdy wrote:Also, earlier on in this thread, you said that the Gaggia Factory (and since its the same machine, it would apply to most la Pavoni machines) would overheat just idle for too long. Is that the same experience that others here on HB have had?
That's true for my Elektra Microcasa a Leva and Olympia Cremina, though the latter will give you longer to dawdle than the Microcasa. When Elektra says she's ready, she means it!
Dan Kehn

Team HB

#145: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

jesawdy wrote:Dave-

Great videos... really enjoying your review.
Thank you. I am glad you are finding the review enjoyable and informative.
jesawdy wrote: I was surprised by the volume of espresso in your cup in the latest video (showing body motion in pulling). On the Gaggia Factory, I would guess 2.5 to 3 pulls to get that volume, or is that not your experience? How many pulls on the Gaggia Factory would yield that same volume for you? I haven't spent lots of time with the Gaggia Factory yet (mostly 'cause I've been waiting for the Tamper roadshow to come my way before I buy a real tamper for it), but I have had some good crema shots, but always smaller volumes than I would pull on my pump machines.

The Achille pulls more volume easier than the Factory. I documented earlier in the thread that the Achille pulls 2oz or water with a single lever stroke. In the video I did a half pull to fully preinfuse the puck, no coffee is flowing out of the portafilter yet. The ensuing second pull dispenses a (or very close to ) 2oz shot. With a quarter pull followed by a full gives me around 1.5oz.

An important thing to remember here, with the Factory, when you raise the lever you are sucking air up through the group piston. That air is pulled up through the portafilter and through the puck; you can dislodge the puck from the basket ruining your extraction. Because the Achille uses a heat exchanger driven by a lever powered pump, no air is sucked into the group and no water flows until you pull that lever down.

I powered up the Factory this evening to play around. I pulled 3 shots and all 3 tasted flat and bitter, all went down the sink. My benchmark has moved very high with the Achille, I doubt I will ever go back to my Factory, the shot difference is that large.

With espresso machines, upgrading your equipment will not necessarily yield an improvement in the cup. There is a point of diminished returns. When I ponder the purchase of an Elektra A3 vs. a La Marzocco GS3 I have to ask myself. Will the GS3 give me a $2,000 better cup vs. the A3? I doubt it will.

When I apply the same logic process to a La Pavoni EPC8 $600 and the Achille at $1200, will I get a $600 better cup? You better believe it. The Achille may compare better to a Cremina. If that observation holds true, a $1200 machine that produces shots equal to a $3500 machine may prove to be the deal of the year, provided you can overlook that steam wand.
Dave Stephens

Team HB

#146: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Cleaning the Gaggia Achille

Two weeks and 5 pounds of espresso later, the Achille is looking a little grungy and in need of cleaning. Sounds like a perfect time to detail the cleaning process.

Indulge me for a moment and let me detail what I must do to clean my Gaggia Factory (La Pavoni). With the Factory you need some needle nose pliers, wrench, punch, hammer, group brush, high temperature lubricant and a small wood dowel. You have to fight with the C clips holding the lever pins in place. One slip and you gouge the chrome on the group or remove some flesh. Personally, I prefer the latter, blood will wipe off, torn up chrome will not heal. Ten minutes later you get the clips off, punch out the pins and take the lever off. Now you need the wrench to remove the bolt on top of the piston shaft. Now that is out, you take the long punch and hammer and tap on top of the piston shaft pushing it into the shower screen. A few more taps and the shower screen, gasket and piston fall through.

Now you can scrub the parts clean. Re: lubricate the piston rings and try to reinsert the piston without tearing up the gaskets. If you nick one while compressing it back into the group you have to order a new set and wait a week for them to arrive. Once the piston is back in you can push the shower screen back on. Then you have to use your small wood dowel to push the group gasket back into the group. Hopefully you do not tear the group gasket or you are out of service until a replacement arrives. Put the pins back into the lever, draw more blood putting the C clips back on the retaining pins and you are ready to go.

Now it is time for the Achille. You have a long list of supplies; you will need a short Phillips screwdriver, a 5mm Allen wrench, cleaning solution, a group brush and your hands, that is it.

You remove the Phillips screw holding the shower screen on and drop it in your cleaning solution.

Now remove two 5mm Allen screws and the dispersion block drops off, put it in your cleaning solution.

Take your group brush and scrub out the lugs and gasket, rinse with clean water.

Clean off the dispersion block and shower screen, screw them back on, wipe off the machine and drip tray, you are finished. Difficult, isn't it?

Dave Stephens

bgn

#147: Post by bgn »

Great videos. Interesting how both the milk and the coffee change so much after only one minute! With the lever I guess one has to choose which one sits (?) i.e. no steaming while brewing like on a hx or db machine.
Really enjoying this!
Barry.

Team HB

#148: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I pull the shot first and then steam because there is no hold time while the machine heats to steam temperature or recovers from the shot. I have been making macchiato lately. I find the drink size a perfect match to the machine. Steaming 3oz of milk only takes 15 or so seconds. The crema has not settled when the steaming is finished.
Dave Stephens

timo888

#149: Post by timo888 »

Dave,
If you have the time, could you try steaming a small pitcher of milk first (after you feel the machine has reached temp) and then immediately pulling two shots. What happens to brew water temperature if you pull your shots right after steaming? Does it fall into the sour range, or simply into the cool but acceptable range?

Regards
Timo
P.S. With the p-stat as you have lowered it.

timo888

#150: Post by timo888 »

Another request please: a close-up pic of the upper side of the dispersion block from whoever has their machine apart next.

Regards
Timo