HB Roadshow - Espresso Tamper Reviews - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#21: Post by cannonfodder »

I switched to my single basket this morning. I had to dig around just to find it. That way I can pull more shots with less caffeine. I finished up that quarter pound that was in the grinder and cut through about half of that half pound I roasted Friday this morning. Even with singles, I think my head is going to explode. Mental note, don't drink two doubles and five singles in one morning... :shock:
Dave Stephens

WR

#22: Post by WR »

David, there's something really creepy about those photos :? -W

another_jim
Team HB

#23: Post by another_jim »

Thanks for the pics, I think I get this whole tamper thing now ...

They should come in three parts:
a bubble top, with various sizes to fit the palm
a middle stem, various sizes to match finger length
a bottom piston, various sizes for baskets and curves du jour to match the current "science".

Then all you'd need is the "tamper tailor"

It's a wonder I can get any sort of shot at all with my antediluvian EPNW stainless :lol:
Jim Schulman

Caffewerks

#24: Post by Caffewerks »

another_jim wrote:
It's a wonder I can get any sort of shot at all with my antediluvian EPNW stainless :lol:

:D

cannonfodder
Team HB

#25: Post by cannonfodder »

WR wrote:David, there's something really creepy about those photos :? -W
Maybe I should change my screen name to 'Thing' and talk like Lurch. Those of you who have no idea who Thing and Lurch are, you're too young, maybe uncle Fester?
Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#26: Post by cannonfodder »

I did a little experimenting today. I took the LaForza handle and attached the Compressore convex base. The Compressore has a little more convex shape than the Reg I use at home but not as radical as the Bumper convex. Worked wonderful, perfect first try naked double this morning. I wonder if I found the best shaped piston for my machine?

On a side note, I brought the Pullman to work to use with my Isomac. The piston does not fit my LM double basket. It fits the LM double in the kit. I set the kit basket out to bring to work and took off and left it on the table so no Pullman shots today, again. Stupid LM basket tolerances, I think they need to revisit their quality control procedures...
Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#27: Post by cannonfodder »

another_jim wrote:Thanks for the pics, I think I get this whole tamper thing now ...

They should come in three parts:
a bubble top, with various sizes to fit the palm
a middle stem, various sizes to match finger length
a bottom piston, various sizes for baskets and curves du jour to match the current "science".

Then all you'd need is the "tamper tailor"

I normally would not be that picky about fit, but since this is the 'dream case of fancy hammers' I am being a little more meticulous about the hand to handle fit. Lets face it, if I am dropping $70-120 on a fifty cent peace of stainless and a 80 cent piece of wood, I want nothing less than perfection.

One thing I like about wood handles, I can chuck them in the lathe and turn them to fit, or have my dad turn a new one from scratch based on the original design. An African purple heart wood handle is pretty sharp, if you like a purple handle.
Dave Stephens

another_jim
Team HB

#28: Post by another_jim »

I can see a lot of sense to a "properly tailored" tamper for working baristas; it would prevent the fatigue and eventual tendon problems associated with tamping with the palm not aligned to the forearm. For a home barista, a tamper that is set up for this would be more comfortable, but not a necessity. Certainly, at $60 or more, one should expect a tamper that fits perfectly.
Jim Schulman

HB (original poster)
Admin

#29: Post by HB (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:For a home barista, a tamper that is set up for this would be more comfortable, but not a necessity.
I don't know, one home barista's necessity is anothers luxury.

It would be difficult to justify the cost of many tampers based on utility alone. I have a soft spot for fine craftsmanship and good design, and I am willing to pay for it. Now that I have several tampers with different piston shapes -- not just "flat" and "convex" -- Dave's comment ("I wonder if I found the best shaped piston for my machine?") really rung true with me. I tend to gravitate towards a favorite piston for a given machine, although without careful study (e.g., by machining several piston shapes for the Macap auto-tamper and testing them blind), it may be my appreciation of a tamper's craftmanship influencing my perception.

As a new owner of the gorgeous Elektra Semiautomatica, I'm sure you understand. ;-)
Dan Kehn

another_jim
Team HB

#30: Post by another_jim »

HB wrote:As a new owner of the gorgeous Elektra Semiautomatica, I'm sure you understand. ;-)
I sure do. But the reviews I've read so far have downplayed both aesthetics and shot quality; instead reviewers seem to be chosing their favorites based mostly on feel.
Jim Schulman