Thor-oughly Dressed Elektra

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
KarlSchneider

#1: Post by KarlSchneider »

I have for a while named my Elektra "Niccolo Amati" in recognition of the Italian violin/cello maker who taught Stradivari how to make instruments because i think of the Elektra as a wonderful instrument I must learn to play. Here are the latest pictures of Niccolo Amati.

New Steam Knob by Les from Thor Tmpers.

Detail of the steam knob.

More detail.

The handles and the steam knob are made of Desert ironwood. Les does such wonderful work. He sent me a lever handle earlier and I managed to crack it immediately. He made me a second one (pictured here) and I like the feel of the thicker handle so much better in my hand.

KS
LMWDP # 008

mogogear

#2: Post by mogogear »

Nice Karl,
Hey refresh our memories of the handle- sneak an extra picture of it in please so we can get the full effect. I never realized the steam arm projected as far from the main body as it does. Nice to keep your hands away from that boiler!! Keep that beautiful blue glass ball up there on the throne- First Chair as it may be...
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

KarlSchneider (original poster)

#3: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

mogogear wrote:Nice Karl,
Hey refresh our memories of the handle- sneak an extra picture of it in please so we can get the full effect.

Keep that beautiful blue glass ball up there on the throne- First Chair as it may be...
mo,

I will get a pic of the new lever handle tomorrow. Although Les wants a wood knob on the top I am inclined to keep the Murano glass. I think the glass ball and the wood go well together.

I may prefer SO espresso but I like the combination on the machine. But I have not yet seen Les' knob for the top. He really took the steam knob far beyond what I had imagined or was able to picture. I remain open to possibilities.

So, how long before we get a report on your new Gaggia?

I did just have three Brazil F. Bruana Peaberry's at 3 hours old. I learned that a new roast can indeed be too new. While drinkable this one was way too un-developed. No hints of real character yet. Brazil too young and little else. Tomorrow will show lots more.

KS
LMWDP # 008

srobinson

#4: Post by srobinson »

Oh my. Karl that has to be one of the best looking machines I have seen. It really stands out and is unique as your fingerprint. I bet Les is about out of Ironwood now....stunning wood.
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

#5: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

mogogear wrote:Nice Karl,
Hey refresh our memories of the handle- sneak an extra picture of it in please so we can get the full effect..
mo,

As promised:

Old handle, coffee scoop and new lever handle.

KS
LMWDP # 008

mogogear

#6: Post by mogogear »

KarlSchneider wrote:mo,

As promised:

image:

Old handle, coffee scoop and new lever handle.

KS
That Sir, is an ensemble worth handling!! Beautiful. I didn't know you had a scoop, I like the shape. Thanks for sharing.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

Karl,

With the new Cremina on its way what will become of Niccolo? Is he destined for your office? My Ponte Vecchio travels to and fro each Monday and Friday, and many of my most esspressive moments are at work. Since our cooling posts I've taken to pulling one doppio at a time, and turning the machine off for a while in between. I had four very good espressi that way today. I've even found the cooler shots easier on my stomach, which suggests less caffeine, and hence more espressi.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#8: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

mogogear wrote:That Sir, is an ensemble worth handling!! Beautiful. I didn't know you had a scoop, I like the shape. Thanks for sharing.
mo,

I think the scoop is great. I have learned how to measure by volume amounts of beans for single and Americanos and get quite accurate dosages without any weighing.

One might think the steam knob is just a pretty face.
And if you recall my posts you might remember that i am a straight espresso person and never make milk drinks. Nevertheless I noticed tonight that Les' design is not at all casual but indeed quite perfect.
Those notcnes and the larger diameter are perfectly felt and not just a thought. One experiences directly the fine craftsmanship not only in appearance but in using the item. If you understand Marx' discussion of Alienated Labor this is the epitome of the authenticity which is the alternative Marx had in mind.

KS
LMWDP # 008

#9: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:Karl,

With the new Cremina on its way what will become of Niccolo? Is he destined for your office?
PC
PC,

I have not really dealt with the question of two machines. I plan to study the differences carefully. I may find one preferable but maybe not. The best answer I have heard to the question of whether to prefer Burgundy or Bordeaux is:

"I can't decide and I like so much the task of trying to decide."

So, ideally I will have both easily accessible. I doubt I will get enough kitchen counter real estate for both. I have already been told by "she who must be obeyed" that I am not to sell either. I am obedient.

I doubt it will go to the office. I have considered that but it takes too much time and clean-up. I make a mess. I hate to admit considering a pod machine for the office but have not really considered one. Pre-Elektra, pre-Giotto I did use some pods in my Solis. Cannot imagine going back.

I prefer great coffee at home in the morning and in the evening and can easily abstain in-between.

KS
LMWDP # 008

bill
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by bill »

KarlSchneider wrote:I have already been told by "she who must be obeyed" that I am not to sell either. I am obedient.
KS
Karl,
We both have wives with the same name. What a coincidence! :D
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!