Versalab M3 Grinder - Page 7

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
AndyS

#61: Post by AndyS »

Abe Carmeli wrote:DAY 4

Today I was trying to determine the optimal Barista technique for the Versalab M3 grinder. Let's see some pictures:

Uneven distribution half way into the grind

The distribution out of the grinder is not always perfect as we see in the image above. (I am nitpicking here, of course). The photo was taken half way into the grind of a 14 grams basket. This does not happen on every grind but on about 50% of them. I found that a good way to fix it is simply to turn the basket or P/F 180 degrees halfway into the grinding session.
Gee, this uneveness hasn't been a problem for me. Hope this isn't a dumb question, but are you sure that you're not simply holding the pf at an angle underneath the exit funnel?

I found that tapping the p/f straight down against the counter, halfway or 3/4 way into the grinding session allows me to control the final dosage amount and still keep even distribution
I cut a piece of 1/4" thick polyethylene about 4" x 5". It lays on the base under the exit funnel. 3/4 of the way through the grind I tap the pf on the plastic to settle the grounds, which sounds exactly like what you're doing.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

Abe Carmeli (original poster)
Team HB

#62: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

AndyS wrote: Gee, this uneveness hasn't been a problem for me. Hope this isn't a dumb question, but are you sure that you're not simply holding the pf at an angle underneath the exit funnel?
No angle. I hold it flat against the funnel exit gasket.
Abe Carmeli

another_jim
Team HB

#63: Post by another_jim »

Abe Carmeli wrote:
No angle. I hold it flat against the funnel exit gasket.
Have you levelled the grinder? Since I found out my Mini sounds smoother when it's level, I've been using shims to make sure the grinders aren't atilt. Maybe a tilt can affect the the M3's distribution.

Team HB

#64: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

another_jim wrote: Have you levelled the grinder? Since I found out my Mini sounds smoother when it's level, I've been using shims to make sure the grinders aren't atilt. Maybe a tilt can affect the the M3's distribution.
As a matter of fact no. I'll dig out my level and check it out.
Abe Carmeli

Team HB

#65: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

DAY 5

As of this morning, my M3 died a sudden death. There will be a reception held in my kitchen tomorrow from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. Coffee will not be served. All well wishers may post their condolences on this thread.

It looks like power supply, but I could be wrong. The good thing about it, I will have the opportunity to checkout Versalab's quality of service. But why so soon, and why me :( ?
Abe Carmeli

cannonfodder
Team HB

#66: Post by cannonfodder »

Ouch, that sucks. Hopefully not a sign of QC problems.

lennoncs

#67: Post by lennoncs »

Abe,
I do Post_Mortems for Free!

Just send the unused portion (postage paid) to me...
:D

Bummer
could just be teething pains

Sean

another_jim
Team HB

#68: Post by another_jim »

Sorry to hear it, hope you can get it resolved quickly.

Team HB

#69: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

DAY 5 1/2

The Resurrection

The rumors of my grinder's demise have been greatly exaggerated. The cause of the problem: A combination of stone caught between burrs, and a slow blow fuse on the grinder. The Versalab Grinder has a 2amp slow blow fuse that is designed to blow when a stone is caught in between the burrs. I was running my kitchen circuit at maximum load, and my kitchen fuse blew before the grinder fuse could kick in. I need to replace the 2 amp slow blow fuse in the grinder with a 2 amp fast blow.

As to Versalab service, they called me after getting my email, I spoke to John Bicht directly, and through a quick process of deduction he figured it out. They offered to have the grinder shipped back to them for repair at no cost if needed. I spoke to John about the dial scale issue and the dial retention problem, and I will post a separate note about it tomorrow.

Since I had to disassemble the burr set again, I took some more pictures for you burr freaks out there.

Lower Burr Set

Complete Burr Assembly - Side View

Last image captured by many coffee beans on their way down to the belly of the beast
Abe Carmeli

another_jim
Team HB

#70: Post by another_jim »

Glad you're running again. A fast blow fuse on a motor may not work, since they can blow on the startup surge (I went through a box of them for my fan variac on the roaster in about a month before the doh moment finally hit).

Thanks for the burr pics. I was under the impression that the flat burrs were the same as for the DRM/Cimbali flat burr grinders. After reading the Illy and Vianni chapter, I wrote and asked Ken. The standard flat burrs, https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... nes/164319 have the same dual crush and shear pattern as the mini burrs. This flat burr, with it's uniform burr spacing must be custom made for the conical/flat combos.

If you look closely, you can see that this means the actual fine grinding surface is vastly increased.