SCAA Barista Competition - USBC 2006 - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
HB (original poster)
Admin

#11: Post by HB (original poster) »

412Rich wrote:we have to ask: we're you judging at the MARBC back in February? One of the judges in DC actually nicked Belle Battista some points for wearing an outfit that didn't match her tablecloth.
No, I've only judged in the SERBC and USBC. The score sheet does include a few points for appearance, but I certainly wouldn't markdown for an outfit that didn't match the barista's tablecloth. Questionable choices like jeans and a T-shirt would cost points. The USBC competitors looked sharp to the last, though that wasn't universally true at the SERBC, as I noted in Competitor Debriefing:
HB wrote:Dress for the occasion

If I got a dollar every time somebody said "five star restaurant" when explaining what type of performance merits top scores, I would be able to afford an evening at such an establishment. Given this expectation, you would think that competitors would choose their apparel accordingly, but some were attired in jeans with untucked and rumpled shirts. The ladies generally understood the message better than the gentlemen baristas, which helps their "professionalism and passion" score.
I did notice that the use of the phrase "five star experience" was all but absent during the USBC judges' certification workshop. There were other minor tweaks in the emphasis, which I'll add to Abe's upcoming thread on the subject. In Matt's case, I commented on his choices as evidence of his assertion that his daytime profession (graphics artist) was indeed reflected in his performance. There's nothing more to read into it than that.
Dan Kehn

HB (original poster)
Admin

#12: Post by HB (original poster) »

Billy was one of three finalists wearing black, which dramatized his dark hair and angular features. The tall fluted glasses for his signature drink with dotted glass straw were placed on wooden trays, which figured prominently in his preparation area. He introduced himself while laying out a warm cream-colored tablecloth and placing pale green napkins, describing the presentation the judges were to enjoy, including the final drinks, named "Hairbender Spuma."

Image Image

Billy served Stumptown's Hairbender blend composed of five coffees from three different regions. He brought his own grinder, a Super Jolly, and thwacked the doser handle with short strokes as he dosed the portafilter. He rotates the portafilter many times while dosing to improve the distribution. Like other time-efficient baristas, Billy brushed away grounds in the seconds between confirming the first moment of the extraction and beginning the next shot. The camera's closeup of the first pours showed drippy, slow extractions. He described the expected flavor profile, which included dark chocolates, citrus and dry fruit finish.

The cappuccinos were poured as brimming apples. Billy carefully wiped the bottom of the cups before placing them on the saucers. As he served the judges, he explained that the drinks were warm enough to elicit sweetness, hot enough to bring out chocolates, but cool enough that you can enjoy them right away.

The final course was Billy's signature drink, the Hairbender Spuma. It is founded on an espresso and eggwhite-based foam created with a nitrogen canister. Cocoa powder was added for chocolates, caster sugar for sweetness, and kumquat for citrus notes. Billy explained that he had tried different temperatures -- cold, slightly cold, warm -- and finished with slightly warm. As he served the drinks, Billy reminded the judges to look for upfront citrus notes, kumquat flavors, and cocoa with a sweet finish. Billy completed service well ahead of time, so he used the remaining minutes to clean up, calling time at 14:53.

Image Image

Technical notes: Billy apparently eschews pricey barista tools, choosing an inexpensive lava-type tamper. Most of the other baristas tamped with the portafilter level, but Billy angled it hard against the edge to tamp. He settled the foam of the steamed milk with long, firm thumps.

(*) All photos by Sean Lennon. Please do not copy or redistribute.
Dan Kehn

e61brewski

#13: Post by e61brewski »

i've said it elsewhere, but i believe billy's sig was the biggest home run i saw. he created a completely new experience -- essentially tricking out all the high notes of the hairbender and serving as a gas instead of a liquid -- while remaining believable. you could imagine this drink being served in a very high-end establishment. it was altogether new yet not unthinkable to serve in a retail environment. and although it's hard to imagine what it even tasted like, you believed that it was good. that is all. :wink:
LMWDP #044
ben.szobody.com

barry

#14: Post by barry »

proofinthecup wrote:I gotta say...there's more to the Ryan Denhard thing, more than just a scoring error, it's bad for barista competition.

i really don't think there is. i was there when they reviewed the tape and i agreed with the decision (and i really didn't think i would beforehand, which is why i went to watch the tape).

--barry "usbc tech judge"

barry

#15: Post by barry »

e61brewski wrote:i've said it elsewhere, but i believe billy's sig was the biggest home run i saw. he created a completely new experience -- essentially tricking out all the high notes of the hairbender and serving as a gas instead of a liquid -- while remaining believable.

i was waiting for the dispenser to pop. he pressurized it and then put it in hot water. :shock:

if this was the sig bev with egg in it, some of the sensory judges weren't too keen on the almost raw eggwhite taste.

--barry "ewww"

Caffewerks

#16: Post by Caffewerks »

HB wrote:Technical notes: Billy apparently eschews pricey barista tools, choosing an inexpensive lava-type tamper. Most of the other baristas tamped with the portafilter level, but Billy angled it hard against the edge to tamp. He settled the foam of the steamed milk with long, firm thumps.
Price does not determine the quality of a tool.

Deluxe Lava tamp is on par price wise as all the other professional tampers in our line. Infact the last three USBC Champions used the Lava Tamp in competition. Dismas used the Stainless Pro tamp ( The Dismas Smith Sig model ). While there are two levels of quality in the Lava Line, Billy uses the Deluxe model.

The best tamper is the one that fits the hand of the Barista and can be used all day with out fatigue. This is one of the primary reasons we have so many to choose from. No one model is a perfect solution for everyone.

jrtatl

#17: Post by jrtatl »

barry wrote:i really don't think there is. i was there when they reviewed the tape and i agreed with the decision (and i really didn't think i would beforehand, which is why i went to watch the tape).

--barry "usbc tech judge"
Hi Barry,

Could you or someone else give us a rundown of what happened to this competitor, and why the instant replay became necessary? I didn't get to attend the competition, so I have no idea what happened.

Thanks,
Jeremy

OlywaDave

#18: Post by OlywaDave »

I have to say nice coverage and photos guys. I was way too busy to see more than a few minutes of the competition but I did catch the end of Billy's final. I wish I would have seen Matt's, but Billy seemed flawless and came in under time. I gotta find time to check the videos. Talk about non-biased reporting... More than you can say for other forums.

Dan as always great to see and talk with you, sorry we missed EspressoFest. I heard great things about it, and even got a great email from an attendee thanking us for our participation. You guys rule.

Abe & Bob great meeting you hope the tamps are working out for y'all. Whoops look at me still retaining an NC accent. ;)
David White
EspressoParts.com

barry

#19: Post by barry »

jrtatl wrote:Could you or someone else give us a rundown of what happened to this competitor, and why the instant replay became necessary? I didn't get to attend the competition, so I have no idea what happened.
simply put, the sensory judges caused a 35 second delay in ryan's program. it wouldn't have been a big deal if he'd finished within the 15 minutes, but he ran over 31.5 seconds. without the penalty incurred by the time overage, ryan would have been in the top six.

jrtatl

#20: Post by jrtatl replying to barry »

Thanks Barry. I had been trying to piece it together with various snippets of text from this site, CG, and alt.coffee. Your explanation makes sense.

Sincerely,
Jeremy