Any help deciding between these three grinders?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Grace30

#1: Post by Grace30 »

So my current grinder (a sad bodum bistro) broke a few weeks ago (a blessing in disguise) and I am desperate to find a better replacement. I was hoping to stay in the $300 range but after searching around I have of course expanded my budget a little. I have been scouring the internet for used grinders in hopes of getting something awesome within my budget. I almost only make espresso/americano/lattes, but I do intend on getting into pour over soon, so something that can go coarse enough would be ideal. Below are the details of the final three contenders after about a week of searching, though I'm open to suggestions if anyone thinks I'm missing something worth considering. Any help would be great!!

Used Rossi RR45, good condition, $275
Used Nuova Simonelli MDX, in good condition, new burrs, $400
New Open Box Vario, $480 (though if I miss this open box deal I'll be looking at more around $550 from what I can tell). Note: I would only like to go up this high in price if it is the obvious winner out of this list.

I also found a used package that I am considering:
Ascaso Innova 1-iD grinder with a Silvia, both about 10 years old (?) but barely used and apparently in good working order - $400

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Grace30 (original poster)

#2: Post by Grace30 (original poster) »

Make that four grinders! I just found this one also..

Used (older model) La San Marco SM 90 - $400

Just throwing that into the mix!

kolu

#3: Post by kolu »

only grinder from these that will be suitable both for espresso and drip is Vario.
RR45 is "espresso-only" and from my experience, not so great (taste-wise).
SM90 is in the same crappy league, IMHO.
MDX seems nice, but it is still an espresso grinder.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

Hillary,

Your prices on the Vario seem high ... really high! Throw the full retail price out the door. Brand new in the US it can be bought for just a tad over $400. I've owned two and never paid over $400 for either. There are numerous ones on eBay brand new in box with $449 or best offer and free shipping. A best offer of $400 *should* get you the grinder, maybe even less.

As has already been mentioned, if you want espresso and and other use, the Vario is your only option of those you listed. Another contender is well outside your price point.

Cheers!
Merle
Merle

desmond

#5: Post by desmond »

You can find a Vario for $449 new.

I've found it does a very good job, has a compact footprint, and it's easy to switch from coarse, drip, and espresso. If you do not have a high end espresso machine, you ought to be fine. I use it on my Technivorm and Silvia, and the results with the Vario are better than a Rocky I owned, and much more convenient and precise.

I think the Knowledgeable here will tell you that if you are going to a higher end DB or HX machine to go more to a high end flat or conical, but those are beyond your established budget unless you fall into a used deal.

russel

#6: Post by russel »

Of the following choices:

RR45 $275
SM 90 $400
MDX $400
Baratza Vario $400

If you don't desperately need to save $125, you should get the MDX w/ new burrs, it's a step above the other two 64mm flats. The RR45 and the SM90 use a very simple stepped upper burr carrier adjustment while the MDX has a very nice continuous adjustment mechanism that moves the lower burr, so cleaning is fast and doesn't involve unscrewing an entire burr carrier and doesn't effect you grind setting. All of the dosers are only OK. I would recommend some sort of digital timer, like a GraLab darkroom timer. With that you'll have a commercial grinder that matches the Vario in terms of dose control; just think of the doser as a de-clumping device.

If you need ease of use and a small footprint above all else, get the best deal on a Vario you can find.

FWIW I've owned all 4 of those grinders.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Spitz.me

#7: Post by Spitz.me »

The Vario is not cheap in Canada.

Vario is overpriced in Canada. So, since we're not sure what currency we're looking at here, I'd guess Canadian.
LMWDP #670

benpiff

#8: Post by benpiff »

You're going to love how easy it is to go from pourover back to espresso with the Vario. Have you tried putting a want ad up on one of the forums for one? The refurbs go for like $350 (if you can find one), and second hand $300-350. But this will all balance out after a year, you won't be sweating it, you'll just be loving how quiet and small that grinder is.